What's new

Help with baking ratios please (1 Viewer)

Breadlady

Anyone good with working out ratios ? If I normally use 160 gr plain flour with 50 gr self raising flour, how much self raising flour would I need for 200 gr plain flour? Please. Just not sure if I should work it out in ratio or percentage. Thanks

Morning Breadlady

If I were doing it, I would do your original 160 Grams Plain - 50 Grams Self and then break it down into smaller chunks which is 80 Grams Plain - 25 Grams Self, then 40 Grams Plain - 12.5 Grams Self.

For your new mix, this would give you 160 + 40 = 200 Grams of Plain Flour and then 50 + 12.5 = 62.5 Grams of Self Raising in theory. That's assuming that whatever you are making likes to be increased or decreased in weight.

I know some things are fine with it, and some recipes don't like being messed about with as it messes with the overall balance of the bake.

Hopefully, this will work in your favour. 👩‍🍳

Lol! I had to double-check my maths three times before posting because I've been up since four this morning, so I'm way there with you. 😂 There may be other ways you can do it, but that's how I would do it if it were me.

It's always good to check, though, because you're just ensuring that you make a good bake. 👩‍🍳

Snap, I’ve been up since 4am as well, making bread and rolls for the village deli. On the week leading up to jubilee weekend I made 30 quiches as well as loads of other stuff. Only just coming back down to earth. Have a good weekend

Blimey, you have been a busy bee. I'm sure they appreciate all your lovely bakes. After all, that though you deserve a slice or two yourself. Make sure you have a little rest when you can and enjoy the weekend too, they say it's going to be sunny so hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy some well-earned rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back