What's new

Help Baking Fail. (1 Viewer)

Handyma

I attempted to bake some oatmeal cookies from a different recipe than usually use due to running out of eggs. I used a vegetarian egg subsitute and it combined the ingredients well. The problem was the baking soda they asked to put it was too strong flavour. Is there anyway to salvage these as I made over 30 of them or else give to our dogs??

Hi Handyma, welcome to the site. 😊

Oh, that's a shame about your cookies, and to be honest, once baked, there isn't really that much you can do with them, especially if you're getting a bitter or soapy taste. Usually, when using baking soda, you need an acid such as vinegar/lemon juice or buttermilk to neutralise it.

However, with that being said, here are a few things that you could try.
  • You could make a lemon drizzle using icing sugar and lemon juice; you mention a strong flavour, so the lemon drizzle topping may help balance the flavour of the cookie out.
  • Try drizzling with honey and see if that helps.
  • Drizzling with melted chocolate may help mask the intense flavour, but you may still end up with an aftertaste.
  • The cookies could be blitzed in a food processor; then add some sugar & melted butter, and rebake to make a cheesecake base.
  • Or you could blitz them and put them in layers of a parfait. This would add layers of texture to the parfait, but the strong taste would get incorporated with all the other ingredients and may help soften the intense flavour.
Hopefully, one of the above options may help you salvage the cookies.

I hope this helps.

Good luck! 👩‍🍳

Last edited:
Thank you Angie for your reply. I like the lemon drizzle idea or chocolate at the very least I think the cheescake bottom would make me feel better about this fail and salvaging it. Thanks so much. :)

You're most welcome, anytime. 😊

I will say that nothing is ever a fail if you've learned something from it and you have, so it's just a baking experience that didn't turn out as planned. Some mistakes or mishaps can work in your favour because they give you ideas going forward and lead you on to other things, so as long as you're learning, that's all that matters. 👩‍🍳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back