What's new

Question *UPDATE!!!* (1 Viewer)

Acegirl2003

So, last year I made what is called a cinnamon butterscotch pie. It’s from a game called Undertale. Several recipes exist online for it, and I found one and tried it out last year with my dad. We have a Halloween party coming up, and mom suggested we make it again. Now, the first one we made tasted good, but with a few modifications I think it can taste great.
So, here’s the lowdown:
In the original recipe, you have to add all the ingredients in a pot, heat gently and stir for a few minutes. See this picture (filling ingredients and instructions are on the bottom):

Butterscotch Pie.JPG

The modifications I had in mind were adding 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips and 1 cup of heavy cream. For the cream, we would add it with the rest of the ingredients in the pot and heat it up like normal. For the butterscotch chips I think we would whisk them in once the filling has been thickened and taken off the heat (there shouldn’t be any chunks in the filling, by the way).
My question is, with the added cream, will the filling still thicken up as normal? Or do you think dad and I should add an extra tablespoon of cornstarch?

Update Oct 29!!*

We made the pie! What dad did was combined 1/2 heavy cream with the cornstarch til it was smooth, put it in the pot, then add the rest of the ingredients and then stirred while it was heated, and finally whisked in the butterscotch chips. It thickened up nicely! He even whipped some cream too! The pie crusts we got were pretty shallow, so there was enough filling for two whole pies!

Pies fresh off the heat:
AF5DE4B3-0805-442A-A723-5CEF6D44BB08.jpeg

Pies the morning of the party:
2BB84A39-0959-41DE-9A62-EEA23EB0211E.jpeg

Pie presented at the party:
D16B097B-3DBD-4BAF-B617-99BF68D8C4D0.jpeg

Wednesday Addams (that’s me!) approves!
8EF042D2-9C7E-4F87-91A6-2F7449E5892B.jpeg

It tasted amazing! Everyone loved it!

Last edited:
Hi @Acegirl2003

Welcome to the site. 😊

When experimenting with recipes, everything really is trial and error. As you will be adding more liquid to the filling and altering the balance of the recipe, you may be wise to add a little more cornstarch to the mixture to help thicken it. However, what you could do is add the cream first on the stove with your original ingredients and check the consistency. If it's too runny, then add the extra cornstarch. Just ensure you add it to liquid first (such as water or milk) and make a liquid paste/slurry, then add it to your mixture. (Making the liquid paste/slurry will stop the cornstarch from going clumpy). Then stir whilst on the heat.

Rather than adding a tablespoon in one go, you could add small amounts, maybe adding a teaspoon of the extra cornstarch (liquid/slurry) at a time, and then add in stages until you get the correct consistency.

Then when you're happy with the consistency, take off the heat and mix in the butterscotch chips.

Hope this helps and makes sense. :wink:

Good luck, it sounds lovely! 🧑‍🍳

So, last year I made what is called a cinnamon butterscotch pie. It’s from a game called Undertale. Several recipes exist online for it, and I found one and tried it out last year with my dad. We have a Halloween party coming up, and mom suggested we make it again. Now, the first one we made tasted good, but with a few modifications I think it can taste great.
So, here’s the lowdown:
In the original recipe, you have to add all the ingredients in a pot, heat gently and stir for a few minutes. See this picture (filling ingredients and instructions are on the bottom):

View attachment 8298
The modifications I had in mind were adding 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips and 1 cup of heavy cream. For the cream, we would add it with the rest of the ingredients in the pot and heat it up like normal. For the butterscotch chips I think we would whisk them in once the filling has been thickened and taken off the heat (there shouldn’t be any chunks in the filling, by the way).
My question is, with the added cream, will the filling still thicken up as normal? Or do you think dad and I should add an extra tablespoon of cornstarch?

Update Oct 29!!*

We made the pie! What dad did was combined 1/2 heavy cream with the cornstarch til it was smooth, put it in the pot, then add the rest of the ingredients and then stirred while it was heated, and finally whisked in the butterscotch chips. It thickened up nicely! He even whipped some cream too! The pie crusts we got were pretty shallow, so there was enough filling for two whole pies!

Pies fresh off the heat:
View attachment 8448

Pies the morning of the party:
View attachment 8449

Pie presented at the party:
View attachment 8450

Wednesday Addams (that’s me!) approves!
View attachment 8451

It tasted amazing! Everyone loved it!

How fabulous! I'm so glad the pies worked out for you both, and they look delicious too. 👩‍🍳

Thank you for the pie pictures and for posting a picture of you with the pie; you look great! 😊 We always love seeing how people get on, so thanks for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back