What's new

Was it the Dutch processed cocoa? (1 Viewer)

rogue_baker

Hi, this is my first post.

Yesterday, I made brownies using Alton Brown's Cocoa Brownie recipe, which I always go by. I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder instead of regular because it was what I had. I used it to make brownies before and they were good if not a little fudgier. I didn't adjust the recipe as far as ingredients, but I decided refrigerate the batter in the pan for several hours before baking. Then I incorporated the technique of baking them for 15 minutes, taking them out to cool for 15 minutes, then baking for 30 minutes before calling it.

The middle never baked all the way through and was still gooey after cooling for 20 minutes. We still went at them and they were delicious with raspberry ice cream (which I also made and it was perfect).

I wrapped up the rest of the uncut brownie and refrigerated it. This morning, it's practically a solid bar of chocolate in the middle (and really really yummy). 🙂

After looking again at the container of Hershey's cocoa, it does say it's Dutch processed. Should I have adjusted the fat content for that?

Thanks! (Please no snarky or rude comments) ✌️

Hi @rogue_baker

Welcome to the site. 😊

Thank you for your in-depth process of how you made the brownies. That helps, especially when asking a question.

Refrigerating the batter is an excellent idea as it brings out the flavours; double baking is also fine, as brownies can be placed back in the oven to get them to the texture/gooeyness that you require them.

As for the cocoa powder switch, you can swap out the cocoa powder for the dutch processed, and it won't make that much of a difference other than a darker colour and maybe a slightly bitter taste.

I'm not sure if you know that the brownie has set in the fridge as the butter has solidified; brownies don't need to be kept in the fridge, but if that's how you like them, then brownie bars it is. 😁

I hope this answers your question. You'll never get a rude or snarky reply here as all questions are relevant and can help other people.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Best wishes.

Angie 👩‍🍳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back