What's new

What is this old tool? (1 Viewer)

Baking tools.jpg
I couldn't post a pic so I made a 2 minute vid demonstrating the features.
It came from an old french pastry chef who died, his son gave me his box of tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only shape that springs to mind is something similar to a cone or ice cream cone.

ice cream cone.JPG

However, I think that's just because of the pattern on the top. Knowing that it is from a French pastry chef I'm sure it is for something a little more glamorous. What did you use it for?

The only shape that springs to mind is something similar to a cone or ice cream cone.

View attachment 5041

However, I think that's just because of the pattern on the top. Knowing that it is from a French pastry chef I'm sure it is for something a little more glamorous. What did you use it for?

Fill with pastillage and close the mold, let it set and you get a pillar in 5 minutes or less.
Wedding cake tier separators.
Pastillage is very similar to gum paste but its sets almost instantly.

It was the indents in the centrepiece that got me. Wow, that would have been very handy to have, especially when everything had to be made by hand; most wedding cake designs back then had separators.

It's great that you still use his tools. I'm sure you have some real treasures in that box. 😊

It was the indents in the centrepiece that got me. Wow, that would have been very handy to have, especially when everything had to be made by hand; most wedding cake designs back then had separators.

It's great that you still use his tools. I'm sure you have some real treasures in that box. 😊

It took me a while to figure out what the old lightbulb was for.
He used it to form petals for marzipan roses.
Some people use the back of a spoon, lightly oiled. That works good too.

I love old school stuff; it interests me, especially tools like that.

I've never thought about using the back of a spoon to form petal shapes, that's a great tip especially if you don't have a petal former.

Lol! Nothing that will harm you it's just a plastic tray like the ones you used to get when you were a kid that you could mix paints in. I use it for drying different shapes to petals and leaves etc.

Autumn Fall Leaves Tutorial - It's the white plastic tray pictured in the tutorial, you may call it something else.

Last edited:
Lol! Nothing that will harm you it's just a plastic tray like the ones you used to get when you were a kid that you could mix paints in. I use it for drying different shapes to petals and leaves etc.

Autumn Fall Leaves Tutorial - It's the white plastic tray pictured in the tutorial, you may call it something else.

Thought it was something new I'd have to buy.
How do you form petals for roses?

I'm sure you have something similar in your bag of tricks.

I have used many ways to make roses. I used to do it the old way by rolling balls flatten with your thumb then ball tool the edges and then put all the pieces together.

I then moved onto this rose cutter.

rose cutter.JPG

I make a cone in the middle with fondant/tylo then wrapped the alternating petals around the cone and then fluffed out the edges and petals using a paintbrush.

I then moved onto the FMM Easiest Rose Ever Cutter and just roll them, they have a range for all flowers which come in really handy and save time once you get used to how to make them. Here's the one for the easiest peony cutter.

roses fmm.JPG

I'm sure you have something similar in your bag of tricks.

I have used many ways to make roses. I used to do it the old way by rolling balls flatten with your thumb then ball tool the edges and then put all the pieces together.

I then moved onto this rose cutter.

View attachment 5042

I make a cone in the middle with fondant/tylo then wrapped the alternating petals around the cone and then fluffed out the edges and petals using a paintbrush.

I then moved onto the FMM Easiest Rose Ever Cutter and just roll them, they have a range for all flowers which come in really handy and save time once you get used to how to make them. Here's the one for the easiest peony cutter.

View attachment 5043

They've got a widget for everything it seems.
I stick to the old way, flatten a ball of marzipan and run a lightly oiled lightbulb around the edges to make the edge of the petal paper thin. Its slow .

Yeah, for most things now there are moulds and cutters etc.

Some things I like to make freehand but with flowers, it's so much easier and quicker using the moulds. There are many intricate designs to choose from nowadays, but it can get expensive because the moulds aren't cheap. I like to have a mixture of tools so I can play about with designs, but I also like using household items to create impressions too.

Have you ever made the rose flowers with pastry?

apple rose.JPG

apple rose doesn't appeal to me, too slow to assemble for retail sales.
I've used salt dough to make bread dough roses , again only useful for showpeices.

I've plaited bread, never made roses with it though although we did cut out a bear shape once.

Decorations to place on loaves for a showcase or competition bread is made from salt dough.
Flour water, and a LOT of salt, cook it in a saucepan, let it cool and it becomes putty.
You can make roses, brush with coffee to dye it. Plonk on top of a big harvest loaf and bake, it is already cooked so it keeps its shape. its not edible.

That's pretty, was the guy in the vid using a ravioli/pasta cutter to make the leaf shapes? I like the edging so I'm wondering if that would work well for fondant edges.

That's pretty, was the guy in the vid using a ravioli/pasta cutter to make the leaf shapes? I like the edging so I'm wondering if that would work well for fondant edges.
Yeh it looks like a riffle edge roller.
Another tool I've lost track of yrs ago.
We moved into this , our first house, 2 yrs ago and I became sick, everything is still in boxes. So many tools I wish I could find are in poorly packed boxes. We'll go through everything in the spring.

pastry roller.JPG

I've never had one, but I have seen them used before. I might try it on fondant to see if it will give me a nice border edge to edible ribbons or maybe even play about with it with some pastry.

There's nothing worse when everything is in boxes, I used to spend days going through my stuff trying to locate things, in the end, I bought new and then months later found what I was initially looking for when I was looking for something else.

I'm sure when you get a second, you'll get organised. I still can't find things, and I am organised. 😁

View attachment 5068

I've never had one, but I have seen them used before. I might try it on fondant to see if it will give me a nice border edge to edible ribbons or maybe even play about with it with some pastry.

There's nothing worse when everything is in boxes, I used to spend days going through my stuff trying to locate things, in the end, I bought new and then months later found what I was initially looking for when I was looking for something else.

I'm sure when you get a second, you'll get organised. I still can't find things, and I am organised. 😁

Not long after we moved here I came down with cancer, had surgery ok, recovery was very hard, two months later I had a heart attack and required a stent procedure. Getting up and down the basement stairs is a dangerous activity so the whole year was lost in recovery. I'm just starting to feel strong again. We'll get it sorted .

Aww, bless you, that's a double whammy! Yep, take it one day at a time and maybe one box at a time. It's nice to see you up and about making your vids though. 😊 Just be careful not to overdo it.

My husband has stents, one from his first heart attack, and then he had to have two more put in last year when he had his second heart attack. You know yourself your own capabilities so take one day at a time, do as much or as little as you feel comfortable with and as long as you keep a steady pace and look after yourself the strength will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back