What's new

Wanting Quiche for dinner, can anyone help please? (1 Viewer)

Joppie

I( set out to bake a quiche. My first issue is that I only have a pyrex pie plate. Do I need to do anything different than in a tin or other pie plate? Next, I forgot the heavy cream or even half n half, what do I do now? I dont know if I should just give up or can I make this work somehow?

Hi Joppie

Welcome to the site. 😊

Here are a few things you might wish to know before going ahead with your bake.

If baking with glass, you should check that the glass is tempered and read the instructions to see the maximum temperature it can withstand in the oven. Also, make sure you preheat the oven first.

Glass can be fragile and may shatter if you attempt to place it in an unheated oven/or surface. (This is because the oven heats rapidly at a higher temp when pre-heating and may shock your dish, causing it to shatter. This may also occur if you place the pie/plate onto a preheated baking sheet to make it easier to get in and out of the oven or you place it on a cold surface when you remove it from the oven, so please be careful. If you wish to put the pie/plate on a baking sheet, then use one at room temperature before placing it in the oven). Don't get me wrong, you can bake with glass, but sometimes it can be temperamental and, if handled incorrectly, can cause you issues when baking.

With regards to glass vs tin, metal tins conduct so they heat up much faster than glass, glass takes a while to heat up, but they do retain heat and bake things for longer even when they are removed from the oven. They're great for bakes like brownies as they bake the outside quicker and will leave you with a gooey centre, but they may cause your quiche to brown quickly on the outside and not bake properly on the inside. However, you can always cover it with foil to slow the browning to combat this.

As a rule of thumb, if you are baking with glass, then you need to reduce the temperature by about 25F and bake your goods for a little longer. This allows the glass to heat up to the optimum temperature, which in turn allows the quiche to bake more evenly, albeit a little longer than required.

To get the optimum baking results, you should always use the best ingredients and be happy with what you want to make. If either the ingredients aren't right or you're unsure of the bake, then chances are it won't turn out how you want it to, and all your hard-earned efforts may go to waste. However, if you're up for an experiment and are curious to see how the bake turns out, then you might be surprised with your results.

Heavy cream/and half and half are great to add to a quiche because they contain fat; however, whole milk or evaporated milk could be substituted, but they may not give you the full creamy taste/richness you are looking for.

Therefore the only things I can suggest are to wait until you have all the ingredients you require before making your perfect quiche. Experiment and see how it goes, or look for alternative recipes that include the ingredients you do have.

It all depends on how badly you want to make the quiche versus how you want it to turn out.

Hopefully, I have given you enough info to make a decision, but good luck either way.

Kind regards

Angie 👩‍🍳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back