What's new

Wafer Flowers by Debbie Cox - BSG (1 Viewer)

It's been a while since I've managed to get anywhere near anything that's remotely cake-related! However, I finally managed to get out and about over the weekend and had the pleasure of meeting Debbie Cox, who was hosting a demonstration on wafer flowers. As I've never used wafer paper before, it was interesting to see how easy it was to use and what you can actually make with it. I even discovered you can fry it!

Sugar Flowers by Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

Debbie has a lovely sense of humour and was really kind in answering all my questions. She also displayed some other stunning sugarcraft designs she'd created and then told me how some of the old school cake toppers were made with card.

I explained that I liked the train topper as it was something I'd never seen before and that I was interested to find out how the design came about.

She explained that her husband is a train enthusiast, and she wanted to see if she could combine her skills with his love of trains (based on a card he received) which is what inspired her to make the pastillage piece below.

Train by Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

She's made countless sugarcraft designs and was happy to explain what was what and how and where she'd made them.

This was her Mrs Tiggy-winkle and Peter Rabbit inspired cake topper.

Tiggy Winkle Topper Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

The gonks are a true favourite, and these were made using Walnut Whips; we had to laugh, though, because Debbie had eaten some of her whips before making all her gonks and then realised she couldn't get anymore! Luckily she managed to source them at M&S along with some mini ones, which is how she made the baby one!

Christmas Gonks by Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

This was her Church made from pastillage; she said that this only took about ten minutes to make but look at how beautiful it looks!

Pastillage Church by Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

When I first saw this, I actually thought she was a Mermaid because the shape of the dress made me think it was a tail! However, after speaking with Debbie, she said that she was a lady with wings and the bottom of the dress was a late addition to spruce up the design. If you look close enough, you can just see the wings behind the head. I really love this design because the bottom of the dress or tail, as I thought, gives the topper some movement.

Fairy Lady by Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

This again is more wafer paperwork.

Wafer Flower by Debbie Cox Medium Kra.jpg

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the demonstration and the invitation from Judith to attend. I met some lovely ladies and learned lots of new skills in the process!

I also have to congratulate a lady I met called Mo, who had submitted this Pastillage Plaque at the Cake International Show and was awarded Silver for it! How creative is this!

Pastillage Plaque by Mo Medium Kra.jpg

I shall definitely be returning for future demos and wish to thank the ladies from the Sugarcraft Guild for their warmth and kindness.

Related Posts

Last edited:
That is surely some serious talent on show there, they all look beautiful and I'm not surprised you'll be going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back