What's new

Tools for decorating a layer cake with buttercream (1 Viewer)

clerahi

Hi Angie,

Another question from me 🙈.

Can you please recommend what tools I need for decorating the sides and top of the rainbow layer cake with chocolate buttercream?

Thanks

Hi Mike

While I think on, another easy way to evenly distribute your buttercream for the crumb coat is to pipe some of the buttercream around the cake and then spread it with your palette knife. If your buttercream is really soft, then applying it just using your knife should be sufficient; however, I thought I would mention it just in case.

When I'm coating a cake, I always put the coating on the top of the cake and then spread it downwards, but sometimes I use a piping bag for the filling to get an even coating in between the layers.

Like I say, though, it's all down to personal preference and what works for you.

Thanks Angie :).

Actually this morning I watched a YouTube video on decorating a layer cake where she piped the buttercream onto the layers. That struck me as being better for me as I'm Ok at piping things like mashed potato. For both the crumb coat and the final layer, she used a large straight palette knife for the sides and a small angled palette knife for the top. She then used the cake scraper to smooth it over. It was really useful watching someone do it.

I have a question about the buttercream she used for the decoration, I'll post that under the cake.

You can also get them from the supermarket depending on size (sometimes they come with a box) or places like The Range sell them too. Or garden centres sometimes do them; it's usually where you can go for a coffee and pick up small cake supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back