What's new

Gruffalo Creme Egg Chocolate Topper (1 Viewer)

With it being Easter weekend, I decided to have a little fun with a Cadbury's Creme Egg and made an edible chocolate Gruffalo topper with it.

The Gruffalo Creme Egg Topper by Help Me Bake 1 (Medium).jpg

Now, I know it isn't your traditional Easter theme; however, it's an amazing book and something that brings back wonderful memories with myself and my daughter hence the reason for making it.

So, seeing as it's made using a Creme egg, that's justification enough for me to have it incorporated at Easter. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

The Gruffalo Creme Egg Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

To make the body of the Gruffalo, I used a Fox's Round biscuit for the base and then a Cadbury's Creme egg for the body. These were stuck together using a little melted chocolate.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

The remainder of the Gruffalo was then made using the following:
  • Brown Modelling Paste
  • White, Pink, Orange, Green and Black Icing Fondant
  • Extra White Sugarflair concentrated Dye.
  • Edible Glue

The brown modelling paste was rolled into sausage shapes.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

Then flattened or cut down to make the hands and feet.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (5) (Medium).jpg

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

The head was also made with the brown paste and made into an oval/cone-like shape.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

I used a little extra paste to stick the head to the body so it had something to grip on to.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

I then indented the face using the base of a nozzle to create the mouth.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (9) (Medium).jpg

I then stuck the head to the body using edible glue.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (9a) (Medium).jpg

I then rolled small orange balls of icing fondant and flattened them between my fingers. I then rolled smaller black balls and placed them on the orange icing to create the pupil for the eyes.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (10) (Medium).jpg

The fiddliest parts of The Gruffalo were the claws, but once I got into a rhythm of rolling them and sticking them to the hands first, then feet, it all came together much easier. I did this by rubbing small pieces of white fondant in between my fingers and then using a touch of edible glue to stick them to the Gruffalo body. I also made two small white triangular-shaped horns and stuck them onto the head.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (11) (Medium).jpg

I made the ears by shaping two small triangles with my fingers and then adding pink to the inner parts of the ear. I made a small rounded pink triangle for the nose and then finished off by rolling a small piece of pastel green icing for the wart on the end of his nose. To bring the Gruffalo to life, I added a white dot in the pupils using the sugarflair white dye.

How to make a Gruffalo by Help Me Bake (13) (Medium).jpg

Overall, I'm happy with the look and think the imperfections in the icing add to his burly character.

I do hope you'll have a go at making one yourself, but if not, I do hope you like him.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back