What's new

Sourdough (1 Viewer)

Efrat

Hi!
I saw this Sourdough Cardamom Knots recipe and I really want to make it just without the sourdough part. My question is how do I make this a nonsourdough recipe, just a normal dough. Is the anything I need to add or change?
This is the recipe:

Sweet Levain
40 g active sourdough starter white, 100% hydration. Fed 10-12 hours prior
40 g whole milk cold
40 g white flour or bread flour
10 g sugar

Main Dough
500 g bread flour 11-13% protein
80 g sugar
9 g sea salt
1 tsp ground cardamom
2 g1 large egg
230-250 g whole milk cold
130 g sweet levain
90 g unsalted butter room temperature

Thank you!!

Solution
Hi Efrat

Thank you for your post.

If you are looking to change your recipe from a sourdough starter to a non-sourdough starter, you may have to do the following:

You would usually have to convert the water and flour amounts in the starter, so in your case, it would be 40 grams sourdough starter - 100% hydration, 20 grams of flour and 20 grams of water. These need to be added to your recipe along with the yeast, which you may use as a substitute.

Then there will be timings, ratios, and other factors that need to be considered. These are more of a bread expertise, so you may be worth looking up on a bread forum to get you all the specific advice you need. They may be able to convert the recipe fully for you.

However, if you found the...
Welcome to the site Efrat, sorry I can't give you an answer but if you just wait for a short while there will be someone who can give you the answer you need. There is plenty to look at while you wait so enjoy the site and again, Welcome.

Hi Efrat

Thank you for your post.

If you are looking to change your recipe from a sourdough starter to a non-sourdough starter, you may have to do the following:

You would usually have to convert the water and flour amounts in the starter, so in your case, it would be 40 grams sourdough starter - 100% hydration, 20 grams of flour and 20 grams of water. These need to be added to your recipe along with the yeast, which you may use as a substitute.

Then there will be timings, ratios, and other factors that need to be considered. These are more of a bread expertise, so you may be worth looking up on a bread forum to get you all the specific advice you need. They may be able to convert the recipe fully for you.

However, if you found the original recipe online, it is always worth contacting the author to see if they have an alternative for you.

When you change a recipe, you always run the risk of altering the outcome as baking is a science; you always want to ensure that your ingredients are in harmony with one another, your timings are right and your ratios are correct to provide the best results.

If you want to experiment with the recipe, then fine, but you may wish to search for a sourdough alternative, i.e. just search for Cardamon Knots recipe and see what you come up with.

I hope this helps.

Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back