What's new

Searching for Tipsy Ring recipe from the 1970s (1 Viewer)

GrannieMa

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me....please!! Back in the 1970s I used to make a cake called Tipsy Ring. My daughter has asked me to make it for her 50th birthday this year but I lost the recipe years ago. I have searched and searched the Internet but no luck. It was a fairly simple chocolate sponge type recipe which was baked in a bundt type ring... but it wasn't a bundt cake. It was then soaked in sherry and served with double cream and sprinkled on chocolate flake. I can try things out but the proper recipe would be a real blessing. Can anyone help? I would be so grateful.

Hi GrannieMa

Thank you for your post.

I have bundt recipes and chocolate cake recipes; however, I know this isn't what you're looking for.

So I've had a look through some really old recipe books (that were left to me by my husband's Gran) but haven't found the recipe in there. I have also asked my friend who's an old school baker, so I'm seeing if she knows what it is or whether she has a recipe for it. I also have a few other places I need to look at for you to see if I can find something for you. So leave it with me and I'll see what I can do for you. Fingers crossed we find something. 🙂

Hi Angie

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble for me! :) I really appreciate it. Hopefully something may turn up otherwise I will will have a go at a few possibilities. I have bought a bundt tin but never used one before so wondered if you could tell me it it would be possible to bake an ordinary sponge cake in one or should I stick to bundt recipes with it?
Thank you again. :)

Hi GrannieMa

You're most welcome. It's really nice that you want to make an old classic for your daughter's birthday so to get to help out on that then even better.

I have a few things for you, so here goes...You may want to grab a brew because there's a bit to read! 🤣

I spoke with my friend yesterday, and she advises that she used to make the Tipsy Ring Cake using a Coffee Sponge. She did it with sponge cake, flavoured with coffee, baked it in a ring mould and then drizzled with sherry. When it was cold, she would whip up double cream, spread it all over and then pipe swirls and finish off with walnuts.

She used our Victoria Sponge recipe using either a two or three egg mix.

For a two egg sponge mix you would use:
  • 100 grams butter or margarine
  • 100 grams caster sugar or granulated sugar (caster sugar will make it lighter)
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 100 grams self-raising flour
For optional flavouring
  • Coffee - 1 tbsp coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiled water or
  • Chocolate - 1 tbsp cocoa powder in 1 tbsp boiled water
Alternatives
  • As an alternative to the chocolate mixed in water, you can substitute 15 grams of flour for 15 grams of cocoa powder if you prefer.
Alcohol Infusion/Decoration
  • 100ml Sherry (Approx - Use your judgement on this as she didn't have precise measurements)
  • Double Cream
  • Grated Chocolate or Crumbled Flake
Method - (Creaming Method)
  • Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl using an electric whisk.
  • Add the eggs one at a time and whisk in.
  • Then sift in the flour, add the flavouring of your choice (coffee or chocolate) and then mix until combined.
  • Pour into a greased or lined ring pan.
  • Bake in the oven on approx 150 - 160°C for fan assisted for about 25 - 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
  • Once baked, put the tin on a wire rack stab the cake with a cocktail stick and drizzle over the sherry to absorb into the cake whilst hot.
  • Then leave to cool for approx ten minutes.
  • Then turn the cake out onto the wire rack and allow to fully cool.
  • When cold decorate the cake with whipped double cream and sprinkle with grated chocolate or crumbled flake.
For a 3 egg sponge mix, you would use 150 grams of butter, sugar and flour and use 3 medium eggs. Use the same method, just increase the baking time.

The Victoria Sponge recipe is one we have tried and tested many times and is very versatile.

I then found an 8-inch Sponge Ring Cake Recipe which was very similar to our Victoria Sponge Recipe, so we're definitely on the right track...this one uses the all in one method.

8-inch Ring Sponge Cake Recipe
  • 115 grams self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 115 grams soft margarine
  • 115 grams superfine caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp boiling water
Method - (All in one)
  • Preheat the oven to 160°C or Gas 3.
  • Grease the 8-inch ring tin and line the base with parchment paper.
  • Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
  • Add the margarine, sugar and eggs.
  • Combine the cocoa powder and boiling water together in a cup then add to all the other ingredients.
  • Beat all the ingredients with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes until it goes pale in colour.
  • Spoon the mixture into the lined tin, bake in the centre of the oven for approx 30-40 mins.
  • Ensure a skewer comes out clean.
  • Turn out onto a wire rack and remove the parchment paper allow to fully cool.
  • ... Sherry Infusion - If using this recipe you could now add the Sherry to the cake whilst it's still hot.
I've never made this recipe, so I can't confirm how it turns out; however, this is a picture of its shape and size. (This is just the sponge version of it, not the chocolate version but you get the idea).

Ring Cake.jpg

Bundt Cake

Regarding your Bundt Cake Question, if it's an intricate tin with lots of lines/ridges or shapes, I would opt for a Madeira Cake. Madeira is a much tighter/denser cake that holds its shape and is great for Bundt Cakes/Carved Cakes. Or use the ones that came with your tin; this is because they will be a much sturdier mix than a basic sponge and a delicate sponge may not hold up as well. (This is one I've previously made).

Greasing your Ring Tin/Bundt Tin

Many recipes say 'line' and grease the tin when baking, but with a ring tin or bundt tin, you may find that you cannot get baking parchment to sit where you want without compromising the shape of the cake. So to ensure that your cakes slide straight out of the tin when baked I do the following:

I use either Bake Easy Spray or PME Release a Cake Spray in my tins, they don't require any further greasing and as long as you have a good coating all over and in all the ridges, the cake will slide straight out when baked.

The other thing you can do is use a cake greasing spray of your choice and then lightly coat with flour, tap out any excess and then pour in your cake batter. This also stops the cake from welding to the tin.

8-Inch/20cm Ring Tin

I found this 20cm/8-inch Ring Tin on Amazon if that's any good to you.

I think I've covered everything, but if there is anything else, then please let me know.

Good Luck and Happy Baking! 👩‍🍳

Last edited:
Oh my goodness Angie, I am pretty sure you have found it! This looks exactly like it and the method you described sounds just like the way I used to do it. I had forgotten the coffee but as soon as I read it, I thought, Oh....Hooray! :)

I can't thank you and your friend enough, I am really thrilled, thank you both! I will splash out on a smaller ring tin I think as I am sure that is all I had back in the 70's when I had no idea what a bundt cake or a bundt tin was!

I think I will have a go at the bundt too eventually...now I have the tin but for now it looks like the Tipsy Cake is set to make a much wanted retro comeback! Thank you! :)

Fabulous! I'm so glad we managed to help you, I've also passed on your regards to my friend. 🙂

I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled by this all-time classic making a comeback and by the sounds of things it would seem you have a few more bakes in the works now too. 😍

Good luck with the bake and if you do get the chance we'd love to see a picture of it.

Best wishes

Angie x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back