What's new

Searching for cake icing from childhood (1 Viewer)

cayosusa

In the 1950's and 60's, my husband's grandmother used to make a yellow cake (from box mix) with an icing that he remembers as a little crunchy when removed from refrig. He loved it and it brings back fond memories. I would like to make that cake for him.

Closest thing I can come to is royal icing (I would use merengue) since it hardens.

Could I use that to frost a cake?

Thank you. Not a baker but appreciate baking!

Solution
Hi Cayosusa

Yes, royal icing was the go-to icing in the early days before all the wonderful frostings we have today although you're not supposed to put it in the fridge as it hardens on its own at room temp. The longer you left it, the harder it got.

You can buy ready-made royal icing from cake suppliers, or you can actually make your own with egg whites, icing sugar, liquid glucose and lemon juice.

If you mean a meringue mixture, then that would need to be baked.

If you mean swiss meringue then yes this can be used as a topping similar to 7-minute frosting although this is more of a light, fluffy cake covering. If you add butter to it, it then becomes a frosting/buttercream for a cake.

The other icing that I have is a glace...
Hi Cayosusa

Yes, royal icing was the go-to icing in the early days before all the wonderful frostings we have today although you're not supposed to put it in the fridge as it hardens on its own at room temp. The longer you left it, the harder it got.

You can buy ready-made royal icing from cake suppliers, or you can actually make your own with egg whites, icing sugar, liquid glucose and lemon juice.

If you mean a meringue mixture, then that would need to be baked.

If you mean swiss meringue then yes this can be used as a topping similar to 7-minute frosting although this is more of a light, fluffy cake covering. If you add butter to it, it then becomes a frosting/buttercream for a cake.

The other icing that I have is a glace icing which is icing sugar/powdered sugar that you mix with water. This sets on cupcakes and cakes and hardens slightly.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back