What's new

Portuguese custard tarts (1 Viewer)

carlaGF

Advice please! Everytime I try these, even with different recipes (inc those with cornflour) I end up with cups of scrambled eggs. I can achieve a perfectly good smooth custard on the hob, its when they bake in the oven that they go wrong. What do I need to do and where am I going wrong?

yes , I use puff (ready made), rolled up, cut into rounds and pushed into a muffin tin. I have tried cooling the custard first and then adding and adding hot custard but both split.

You can cool the custard by pouring it in a glass jug or bowl and then cover with clingfilm so that a skin does not form. Once cooled, pour into your pastry and then bake in the oven on about 190°C for approx 25-30 mins until it has just set, make sure there is no puddle in the middle, test with a knife and it should wobble slightly, take out of the oven, don't let it over heat because if the custard overheats or boils up that is when it will scramble.

If your custard is very liquid this may also have an affect on your flaky pastry rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back