What's new

Popovers don’t rise! (1 Viewer)

We’ve been making popovers for 40+ yrs & have never had a problem, but for the last few yrs (since moving to a humid area in TN) they don’t rise. I even had someone test the temp of my oven & it is ok. My sister, 1 mile away, has the same prob. She has a new stove, mine is 15 yrs old, both electric. We’ve put aside mom’s recipe & have tried many others, w/all sorts of deviations, and they simply don’t rise. Help! Thanks 😊

Hi, @Pamela saves senior dogs!

And Welcome to the site. 😊

As you've been making these for over 40+ years, I'm sure you and your family can make popovers in your sleep, so I'm sorry to hear that you are having lots of problems with them now that you have moved to a more humid area.

Since you've tested your ovens and tried with your sister's oven, then the only thing I can think of is that the additional moisture/humidity is now playing havoc with the balance of your batter and causing your popovers not to rise. As you may know, weather plays a huge part in causing problems when baking as it likes to mess around with all the sciency stuff taking place in the oven, so anything that affects the batter like additional moisture can create real problems when it comes to making anything rise.

Unfortunately for you, the high humidity will add extra moisture to all your ingredients which in turn will affect your overall bakes. So with that in mind, you may wish to choose your days when there is less humidity in the air, and you should garner better results. Either that or try reducing the liquid in your batter slightly to try and balance out/compensate for the extra moisture being absorbed into your ingredients or try baking for a touch longer.

I'm sure you keep your flour and other ingredients in airtight containers so that no additional moisture can penetrate the bags, and bake when the humidity is at its lowest if you can. Like early morning or later in the evening, unless it's humid all day. I know this isn't always ideal, but it may help you to determine when is the best time to bake or make certain things that are affected by moisture.

To help with the humidity issue, you may want to invest in something called a hygrometer which measures the humidity in the air and would give you a better indication of when it is effectively best to bake.

I do hope you resolve the issue, and hopefully, you'll be able to start recreating your old classic favourites in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back