What's new

My cake batter won't stop curdling (1 Viewer)

patmurphy

Hi there,

I've been trying to make a Christmas pudding but once I add a tiny bit of the egg it just curdles. I've tried four times to not let it curdle but nothing has worked.

First I cream equal amounts of butter and soft light brown sugar. Then I have to add three eggs.

If someone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Hi patmurphy and welcome to the site. 🙂

Aww, bless you, in all honesty, you're not doing anything wrong, and it will curdle. When you cream butter and sugar and then start adding eggs, you have a lot of fat and water content going at the same time and the more eggs you add, the more it will split. If you add a spoonful of the flour you are using after each egg it will help bind the mixture together more.

The same thing happens when I make a fruitcake, and there are lots of eggs needed for that. The wet ingredients can sometimes resemble a bowl of sick for want of a better phrase, but once you add the dry ingredients, it will start coming together.

Fruitcake ingredients curdling by help me bake.(Medium)-001.jpg

This is a close-up before any dry ingredients get added. As you can see, it looks awful, but once you start adding lots of dry ingredients to it, it all combines together and works beautifully.

I have put a link to my fruitcake tutorial below, if you scroll down the pictures you'll see the curdling.

I also mention curdling in my baking phrase post too.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Angie ☺️

Last edited:
Hi patmurphy and welcome to the site. 🙂

Aww, bless you, in all honesty, you're not doing anything wrong, and it will curdle. When you cream butter and sugar and then start adding eggs, you have a lot of fat and water content going at the same time and the more eggs you add, the more it will split. If you add a spoonful of the flour you are using after each egg it will help bind the mixture together more.

The same thing happens when I make a fruitcake, and there are lots of eggs needed for that. The wet ingredients can sometimes resemble a bowl of sick for want of a better phrase, but once you add the dry ingredients, it will start coming together.

View attachment 5505

This is a close-up before any dry ingredients get added. As you can see, it looks awful, but once you start adding lots of dry ingredients to it, it all combines together and works beautifully.

I have put a link to my fruitcake tutorial below, if you scroll down the pictures you'll see the curdling.

I also mention curdling in my baking phrase post too.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Angie ☺️
This has really helped me thank you so much Angie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back