What's new

How to make easy Paw Prints - Tutorial (1 Viewer)

Do you want to know how to make these easy peasy paw print toppers for your cupcakes? If the answer is yes and you're looking for a quick project with the kids, then follow this easy step by step tutorial showing you how to make them!

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 1.jpg

Ingredients​

• White Icing Fondant
  • Black Icing Fondant
  • Grey Icing Fondant
  • Brown Icing Fondant
  • Jam or Buttercream
  • Edible Glue or Water
  • Icing Sugar to roll out on (Optional)
  • I used Renshaw Icing for all my colours.

Equipment​

• Pre-made Cupcakes
  • Rolling Pin
  • Silicone Mat
  • Circle Cutters
  • Heart Cutter
  • Palette Knife
  • Soft Paintbrush
Paw Prints tutorial by Help Me Bake.jpg

Method​

1 Take a piece of your white icing and roll it out on your onto your silicone mat until it's about 3-5mm thick. (You may wish to dust your mat with a little icing sugar first to prevent it from sticking).

Paw Prints tutorial by Help Me Bake 2.jpg

2 Using a pastry cutter, cut out a circle the same size as the top of your cupcake.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 3.jpg

3 Stick the white icing to your cupcake using either a little jam or buttercream. (I used a cupcake dummy, so I used the heat from my hands to stick it to the dummy).

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 4.jpg

4 Set up your cutters in the shape of the paw print; I used two different sized circle cutters and a medium-sized heart cutter. The heart cutter was 2 cm in diameter, and the circle cutters were 1.2 cm and 1 cm in diameter.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 5.jpg

5 Now roll out your paw print colour and push your cutter into the icing fondant.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 6.jpg

6 Remove the cutter from the icing and run your finger around the edge of the cutter to remove any straggly edges.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 7.jpg

7 I forgot, so if you look below, you'll see how it looks with a slightly rough edge. Remember to place the heart upside down near the middle/bottom/centre of the cupcake. (Do not stick it yet!)

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 8.jpg

8 I then did the same thing with the largest circle cutter.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 9.jpg

9 I then cut out the rest of the pieces with the smallest circle cutter.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 10.jpg

10 Place the circles and heart into the shape of a paw. I placed the biggest circle in the middle and the smaller two on either side. Once the paw print is in place, carefully lift the pieces and place a little water or glue underneath them, this will help stick them to the icing.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 11.jpg

11 Roll out another circle and cut it out using the pastry cutter.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 1a.jpg

12 If the circle sticks to your mat a little, you can use a palette knife to lift it. Then, stick it to the top of your cupcake using jam or buttercream.

Paw Prints Tutorial  by Help Me Bake 1b.jpg

13 If you are using different colours as I did, then roll out your next colour.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 12.jpg

14 Roll the grey into a thin piece.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 13.jpg

15 Use the cutter as you did before and remember to run your index finger around the edge to remove any rough edges. You will see from the picture below there is an indent in the icing; however, this doesn't matter as this side will be stuck to the white icing using a little edible glue or water.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 14.jpg

16 Again, place the heart shape upside down on the white icing. I ran my finger around the cutter's edge this time, so the grey heart is smoother than the black one.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 15.jpg

17 Now cut out the large and smaller circles, removing any rough edges with your finger. Stick these to the white icing using water or edible glue.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 16.jpg

18 Then move onto your next colour.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 17.jpg

19 Roll out and cut as you did before.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 18.jpg

20 Make sure your edges are smooth.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 19.jpg

21 Place them on the top of your cupcake in the paw position you like and then stick them on using water or edible glue.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 20.jpg

These are the finished Black, Grey and Brown Paw Print Cupcake Toppers.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 21.jpg

You can also use the Paw Prints on a cake; for that, you would just need to use larger cutters.

Paw Prints Tutorial by Help Me Bake 23.jpg

And there you have it, fun, easy peasy toppers to make with the kids!

Enjoy! 👩‍🍳

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back