What's new

How to make a Valentine’s Owl Tutorial (1 Viewer)

As Valentine's day will shortly be upon us, I thought I would help inspire you with some edible gifts! So here is a tutorial on how to make a Valentine's Owl.

1-Owl-Valentine-Help-Me-Bake-480x399.jpg

This edible Owl is a lovely little Valentine gift that can melt hearts; it is very easy to make too! I used Renshaws Chocolate Icing, Renshaws Poppy Red Decor~Ice, Renshaws White Decor~Ice and my own Yellow pre-dyed icing.

Method:

Here is your step by step guide with pictures showing you how to make the edible Valentine's owl.

1. To make the owl, I rolled the chocolate icing into a small ball size and then flattened it slightly between my palms. I then patted the sides of the icing and moulded it with my hands to make a rectangular shape.

1-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-480x640.jpg

2-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

3-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-480x515.jpg

2. I then pinched the ears using my thumb and forefinger.

4-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

5-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-480x522.jpg

6-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-480x594.jpg

3. The white eyes were created using circle cutters, and the pupils were black edible dragees balls. If you do not have any of those, then use a small piece of black icing fondant. I used a water pen to stick the eyes to the chocolate icing.

7-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

8-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

9-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

10-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

11-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

4. The chest is a red heart that I made from red icing fondant, I measured a heart against the owl to size the heart I needed, and then I cut it out. I then indented the heart by turn the cutter upside down and imprinting the heart upside down. I stuck the heart to the owl using a little water, the indents on the chest were made using the heart cutter upside down (i.e. the point of the heart was facing upwards).

12-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

13-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-480x545.jpg

14-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

15-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-3.jpg

16-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-4.jpg

17-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-5.jpg

19-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-7.jpg

5. To create the eyelids,, I rolled out a small piece of chocolate icing and cut the circle shapes with my cutter. I then sliced a small section of the circle to create an eyelid. I then attached the eyelid using water.

20-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-8.jpg

21-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-9-480x482.jpg

22-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-10-480x504.jpg

23-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-11.jpg

24-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-12.jpg

6. The wings are oval-shaped chocolate icing that I made and shaped with my fingers, I rolled out a piece of chocolate icing and then cut it in half so that my wings would be the same size. I rolled it into a ball and then flattened the ball and shaped the edges into an oval shape using my fingers. I then pushed a drinking straw into the wings to give them a little definition. These were again stuck with a small amount of water.

25-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-13-480x547.jpg

26-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-14.jpg

27-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-15.jpg

28-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-16-480x522.jpg

29-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-17-480x523.jpg

30-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-18.jpg

7. The yellow beak was made from a small piece of yellow icing fondant that was rolled into a ball and the pinched slightly with my fingers to create the point.

31-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

31-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-20.jpg

32-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-21.jpg

8. The yellow claws are circles,, and the indents for the feet were made using a veiner (Dresden tool) however if you do not have one then please use a cocktail stick. Again roll a small piece of yellow icing fondant and cut it in half so that your feet are the same size. Roll the icing into a small ball and flatten it. Then indent the icing fondant to create claws.

33-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-22.jpg

34-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-23.jpg

35-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-24.jpg

36-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-25.jpg

37-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-26.jpg

38-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-27.jpg

39-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-28.jpg

40-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-29.jpg

8. I used my message maker to imprint the message on the icing and cut out large and small hearts with my cutters for the Valentine's message.

41-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

42-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake-480x480.jpg

43-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

44-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

45-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

46-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

47-Valentines-Owl-Tutorial-Help-Me-Bake.jpg

Here is the finished Valentine's Owl and the heart filled Owl be your Valentine message.

Owl-Valentine-by-Help-Me-Bake-001-480x429.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back