What's new

How to make a Madeira cake using the All in one Method (1 Viewer)

How to make a 9" Madeira cake using the all in one method.

Madeira 44-001.jpg

Preheat your oven to one of the following:-
160°C Electric Fan Assisted
180°C - 190°C Electric Regular Oven
Gas Mark 2
320F

Ingredients:
600 grams / 21 oz Plain Flour (All-purpose flour for USA)
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
500 grams / 18 oz Caster Sugar (Superfine for USA)
500 grams / 18 oz Margarine
9 Medium/Large Eggs
5 Tablespoons of Milk (I used Semi-Skimmed or Half Fat for USA)

1 Madeira (1)-001.jpg

1. Measure out your flour and then sieve it into a large mixing bowl.

1 Madeira (5)-001.jpg

2. Now sieve the baking powder into the bowl.

Madeira (2)-001.jpg

3. Weigh out the sugar and add to the mixing bowl, you may wish to sieve it to remove any lumps, but I didn't.

Madeira (7)-001.jpg

4. Now add the margarine to the bowl.

Madeira (8)-001.jpg

5. I cracked the eggs into a small bowl first and then poured them into the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients. I did this to prevent any shell dropping in the bowl.

Madeira (11)-001.jpg

6. Now add the milk.

Madeira (12)-001.jpg

7. Now that all the ingredients are in the bowl, turn the whisk on slowly to start binding the ingredients together.

Madeira (15)-001.jpg

Madeira (16)-001.jpg

8. Once the ingredients starts to bind together, increase the whisk speed to full and mix for about 1-2 minutes or until all the ingredients have combined.

Madeira (22)-001.jpg

Madeira (24)-001.jpg

9. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula and then give the mix a quick blast with the whisk to ensure everything is mixed in thoroughly.

Madeira (25)-001.jpg

10. Once fully combined place to one side.

Madeira (26)-001.jpg

11. Now grease and line your tin. Place a sheet of baking paper under your tin and trace around it. Cut out the circle ensuring you cut on the lines (if you don't cut it out properly your pen lines may transfer onto your cake whilst baking, this has happened to me before).

Madeira (27)-001.jpg

Madeira (29)-001.jpg

12. Grease your tin using oil, butter or cake release, I used cake release, I placed a small blob in the bottom of the tin and smeared it round using kitchen towel.

Madeira (32)-001.jpg

13. Now place your cut out circle into the bottom of the tin.

Madeira (37)-001.jpg

14. Pour your mixture into the greased/lined tin until it is three-quarters full.

Madeira (41)-001.jpg

Madeira (42)-001.jpg

15. Now place in the middle of the oven and bake for approx 1 and a half or 1 and three-quarter hours or until a skewer comes out clean. I placed a water tray at the bottom of my oven for added moisture.

Madeira Oven-001.jpg

16. Once baked, leave in the tin for approx ten minutes for it to shrink away from the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool fully. Remove the baking paper from the base of the cake slowly, use a pallet knife to help lift the baking paper from the cake without tearing. If storing wrap in baking paper and cling film until required. This cake will last approx 1 week.

Madeira-All-in-one-method-Help-Me-Bake-21-480x640.jpg

Attachments

• Madeira (35)-001.jpg
    Madeira (35)-001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back