What's new

How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper (1 Viewer)

I recently made a Harry Potter Slytherin Cake for my daughter's birthday and thought it would be a great idea to put together a tutorial on how to make the Sorting Hat. It's relatively easy to do and looks quite effective too. So if you'd like to make your own, here's a step by step tutorial showing you how I did it.

How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat by Help Me Bake.jpg

How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat​

Equipment

• Chocolate or Brown Icing (I used both)
  • Rolling Pin
  • Silicone Mat
  • Dresden Tool
  • Paintbrushes
  • Black Lustre dust
  • Tin/Cling Film (Saran Wrap) (Optional)
  • Water/Edible Glue (Optional)
  • Icing Sugar (For dusting, Optional)

The Hat is made from Chocolate and Brown coloured icing/fondant and was built up in stages to make the most realistic features. You could use either icing/fondant depending on your taste preferences.

Note: You may wish to dust your mat with icing sugar/confectioners sugar or place a piece of cling film/saran wrap underneath it so that it doesn't stick to the mat and can be easily removed. Either that or make it on a cake board.

Method​

1 Place your silicone mat, small rolling pin and desired icing fondant on your table.

0 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

2 Take half the chocolate icing/fondant out of the packet and roll into a cone shape using the palms of your hands.

1 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

3 Then roll small sausages with the chocolate icing/fondant.

2 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

4 Place them around the cone to make the features. If you like, lean the top of the cone against some cling film (saran wrap) and a cake tin. I did this to give the top of the cone some support.

3 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

5 When you roll the sausages you generate heat so they should stick to the cone without any additional edible glue or water. (If they're not sticking then use a little glue or water).

4 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

6 Add the small sausage-shaped pieces to form the eye and mouth sockets. Ensure you have enough room at the bottom for the mouth shape.

5 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

7 Once you're happy with the sausage features, roll out a piece of additional icing/fondant that will cover the cone and give you the brim of the Hat.

6 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

8 This needs to be wrapped around either side of the cone and overlapped at the back.

7 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

9 Snip the excess icing off at the back with scissors, ensuring you have enough for the base of the Hat. To cut of any additional icing/fondant at the bottom use your Dresden tool to score and remove it.

8 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

10 Once your sausage-shaped cone is covered, lightly push the outer icing/fondant into the eye sockets using your thumbs, then use your little finger to push the icing/fondant into the mouth socket. (The more you use your thumbs, the wider the eyes will become).

9 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

11 You will now need a Dresden tool and a soft dry paintbrush.

9a How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

12 Use the paintbrush to continually push the outer layer of icing/fondant into all the grooves and crevices you have made underneath. This will start defining the features.

10 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

13 I also used my hands to mould and maintain the cone shape and pushed the icing/fondant further into the grooves.

10a How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

14 The more you shape it with your hands and tools, the more defined the features will become.

11 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

15 Edge the Hat by scoring the edge with the Dresden tool.

12 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

16 Continue to score and scribed the icing with the Dresden tool to make indentations and give the Hat more character.

13 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

17 You can see here I have scraped and scratched the front above the face to give the appearance of age on the Hat.

14 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

18 Leave the Hat to dry for a day or so and allow it to firm up before moving on to the dusting. This will stop you from continually messing with the shape of the face.

15 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

19 To add more definition and shadowing to the Hat, I used Sugarflair Edible Midnight Black Lustre Dust. (Please note that this lustre dyed the tips of my paintbrushes, so make sure you don't use your best ones! It also sparkles!)

16 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

20 Using the paintbrush, lightly dust all the crevices on the Sorting Hat; this adds shadow, depth and character.

17 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

21 Remember to do the back. You can see from the picture this is where I cut the excess icing; continue adding black lustre on the back of the Hat and around the brim of the Hat.

18 How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cake Topper by Help Me Bake.jpg

Here is the finished Sorting Hat.

How to make a Harry Potter Sorting Hat by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

As you can see, it looked really effective and was relatively easy to put together. If you want the topper to be lightweight, you could make the cone out of marshmallow; Rice Krispie treats and then lightly coat with a layer of chocolate before covering it in fondant.

Either way, good luck making yours!

Enjoy! 👩‍🍳

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back