What's new

Help with Small Tins Afternoon Tea Cakes (1 Viewer)

clerahi

Hi Angie,

Another question... I knew I'd be keeping you busy :wink:...

I've been given four of these mini tins. They measure 6cm x 8cm (top) x 4 cm deep. They look like loaf tins to me, would they be suitable for making small cakes for Afternoon Tea? My wife loves Afternoon Teas but obviously that's not been possible during lockdown. I thought after the birthday cakes are sorted, next I could learn how to make small cakes and pastries.

Have you got any advice on using these mini tins?

20210417_113316.jpg

Solution
Lol! It's fine. 😊

Yes, they are mini loaf tins and yes, they would be fine for making smaller cakes.

In all honesty, mini tins are not something I use basically because you don't get a lot of cake. I did use some paper loaf cases many years ago, but I didn't get a very good rise out of them, and the cake stuck in the tray/case, so it wasn't something I bothered with. (I've had a look for the picture, but I can't remember what I filed it under!)

I do have a mini tin tray/pan, but I haven't got around to using it yet as I haven't needed to.

Mini Loaf Tin (1) (Medium).jpg

Mini Loaf Tin (2) (Medium).jpg

I did, however, make some miniature cakes a few years ago by making a big one and then cutting them into miniatures...
Lol! It's fine. 😊

Yes, they are mini loaf tins and yes, they would be fine for making smaller cakes.

In all honesty, mini tins are not something I use basically because you don't get a lot of cake. I did use some paper loaf cases many years ago, but I didn't get a very good rise out of them, and the cake stuck in the tray/case, so it wasn't something I bothered with. (I've had a look for the picture, but I can't remember what I filed it under!)

I do have a mini tin tray/pan, but I haven't got around to using it yet as I haven't needed to.

Mini Loaf Tin (1) (Medium).jpg

Mini Loaf Tin (2) (Medium).jpg

I did, however, make some miniature cakes a few years ago by making a big one and then cutting them into miniatures.

I used this method as sometimes smaller cakes have a tendency to dry out, and I didn't want that.

I have made miniature cupcakes, lol I'm going from telling you I don't make them to telling you every variation I use to make them! They were really cute, so that they may be a good one.

I have used the larger loaf version of the tray when I make my banana loaf; I have to back away from that though, as I eat half the loaf, taste testing it! When making this, I always use a liner in the tin.

Something else you might like to make for afternoon tea is these scones; they are fabulous!

So back to the tins, if you are going to use them, make sure you get some mini liners or grease and then flour them before baking; that way, the cakes should just slide right out.

You have a few options to go at now, so I'm sure your wife will be really pleased with whatever you decide to make.

Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back