What's new

Hello bakers (1 Viewer)

fudgebum

I just want to say hi, I am new to baking and am thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for 3 years this year, it been an extremely challenging at times with more downs than ups. Over the last 3 months me and my fella have binge watching Bake Off on Netflix. During this time I have been watching and seen many things created that I really liked the look of and wished that I could copy them myself. now that I have watched all of the episodes I decided to pluck up the courage and try to bake something myself. I first started by buying the premixed items from the supermarkets and I was shocked that they actually worked, not only that but they tasted great too. Having tried lemon drizzle and traybakes with great success I finally decided to try and bake something from scratch. If you knew me like I knew myself then you think no way, but I thought stuff it I’m going to try it and see what happens.... OMG! It has been over 2 months now and I’ve baked banana bread, Jaffa cakes and even a loaf of bread all from scratch and they actually worked and taste great also. My fella now takes some of my baking to work and he’s still alive and keeps asking me to bake his favorites which are banana bread and lemon drizzle from scratch. It feels really strange that he is taking my baking to work to eat in his break time but at the same it feels great to think that I made them but at the same time it feels really good inside to know that I was able to make them for him. Since then I have really got the baking bug to the point where I dream about it sometimes. Now when my fella goes to work he says ‘On your marks get set bake’ and I go in my own world where nothing else matters.

I have really surprised myself as I have never been able to cook but have managed to bake with great success and am looking forward to trying new things.
being a tech person, I now Find myself looking at baking and kitchen utensils in the shops, what’s wrong with me 😜

I look forward to being part of this forum.

Attachments

• 399F21AD-631A-4098-9AA2-C94752919AA2.jpeg
    399F21AD-631A-4098-9AA2-C94752919AA2.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Hi Fudgebum,

Your name makes me smile and laugh in equal measure. 😍 Welcome to the site lovely and Hello to you too.

It's great to see that even though you have had some challenges over the past few years, you focus on something that will bring you great wellbeing and joy. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on moving on from the pre-mixed items to your own bakes. Home-made bakes are one of the most delicious things ever and the more you do, the better you get. (Plus the kitchen always smells fab!) I too started with pre-made mixes many years ago and ended up burning a batch of cupcakes. I decided then that was not how I wanted to teach my daughter to bake, so I set about teaching myself and doing courses on baking and cake decorating. I now bake all sorts, make my daughter and some of my friends/family birthday cakes every year, I have taught my own classes and written a book. This comes from a girl who once made a batch of strawberry tarts that nearly broke her Aunties teeth. 🤣

Once you master the basics, you can pretty much achieve anything, and it sounds to me that you have found a passion that both you and your fella can enjoy.

Welcome to the site, and we look forward to you being part of the forum too.

We have a daily chat in the today what have you been up to thread in the Tea Room at the top of the page. If you click the last page number, it will take you into 'today's chat' and where the other forum members are.

There are also recipes and tutorials for you try or look at, and then there are pictures of cakes and bakes that I have made and reviews of products that I have used.

If you need anything else, then just let me know.

Enjoy and happy baking! 😊

Angie

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Fudgebum, your name made me laugh as well. I'm so glad you have come so far with your baking and are enjoying the process.

You'll find lots of help and recipes you can try out here and lots of hints and tips.

Enjoy being a part of this wonderful site for all things baking. :)

Thank you, I am so happy to be part of the forum.
I absolutely love all the information on this site, it is really helpful.

I have been baking banana bread today and I have really surprised myself at how well it has turned out.

Unfortunately at the moment I have to keep my bakes to myself because of COVID-19. There are some relatives who want to try them.
I just want to get into the kitchen and keep baking but can’t eat it all myself 😢 although I will try.

Welcome to the site Fudgebum, your name made me laugh as well. I'm so glad you have come so far with your baking and are enjoying the process.

You'll find lots of help and recipes you can try out here and lots of hints and tips.

Enjoy being a part of this wonderful site for all things baking. :)

Hello, I have been looking at the hints and tips on here and it it soooo good.
I just clicked on your link on your signature, I too love cross stitching. I have been doing it for around 20 years, I find it really relaxing.
Your projects look really great, I do recognize one of them as one that i too have completed. The Wolves one.

this Lockdown that we are in at the moment is the perfect time to get on with stitching and baking.

Hello, I have been looking at the hints and tips on here and it it soooo good.
I just clicked on your link on your signature, I too love cross stitching. I have been doing it for around 20 years, I find it really relaxing.
Your projects look really great, I do recognize one of them as one that i too have completed. The Wolves one.

this Lockdown that we are in at the moment is the perfect time to get on with stitching and baking.
Thank you, I agree cross stitching was really relaxing even when I was doing it for a shop and working from rough sketches. I have that many supplies even a filing cabinet drawer full of books which haven't been opened. Regretable I can no longer do it as I can't hold the needle without my fingers cramping.

The wolves was a good one to do. I first did the peacock picture at the full size on 14 count Aida for the pub down the road then did it for myself on evenweave so it was a lot smaller but still had the same amount of stitches. Each eye on his tail used 9 different colours.

The monks on Caldey Island saw the one showing their abbey in the shop and wanted one so I stitched that again for them and they have it hanging in their refectory. The harbour at Tenby was a very popular one as well and I must have stitched that one 6 times or more.

I agree this lockdown would be ideal for you to catch up with your stitching and baking, good luck.

Thank you, I am so happy to be part of the forum.
I absolutely love all the information on this site, it is really helpful.

I have been baking banana bread today and I have really surprised myself at how well it has turned out.

Unfortunately at the moment I have to keep my bakes to myself because of COVID-19. There are some relatives who want to try them.
I just want to get into the kitchen and keep baking but can’t eat it all myself 😢 although I will try.

Hi fudgebum

The last time I baked banana bread I'd taste-tested half of it before anybody got near it. 😂

I'm glad you are keeping yourself busy with the pandemic going on. @Joan is definitely a go-to person for the stitching if you need any help with that. She's made some lovely things over the years. The last time I did any sewing was at school when we made some kind of tapestry, I remember doing blanket stitch and cross-stitch, but that's about as far as I go.

I can hand sew/fix a few things, and I did know how to knit at one point because my Nana taught me, but I'm a novice on that front compared to you guys.

I'm glad the site is helping you out, 😊 my 99 Baking and Decorating Tips Book will be on free download again tomorrow on Amazon which may also help you out and keep you a little busy.

I'm full-on busy with home-schooling etc. so I'm in and out on the site at the minute. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back