What's new

French Pastries, Desserts and Ingredients (1 Viewer)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching a few American baking programmes recently and have watched some of the contestants make an array of delightful treats, some of which I've never heard of.

Thankful to expand my knowledge I thought I'd a list a few of treats for you just in case you didn't know what they were either.

french religieuse.JPG

Religieuse - A french pastry made from two choux buns (cream puffs) filled with crème pâtissière (pastry cream), dipped in ganache, given a cream collar and then stacked on top of one another.

french feuilletine flakes.JPG

Feuilletine Flakes - Or pailleté feuilletine as they are sometimes known are thin crispy flakes made from paper-thin sweetened crepes. They have a caramel flavour and used in desserts for a light and crispy texture.

french financier.JPG

Financier - A Financier (or Visitandine, as an earlier version was known), is a small French almond cake which is popular in France due to its petite size. It is flavoured with beurre noisette (a warm sauce used to make french cuisine and pastries) and baked in a small cake loaf.

French Opera Cake.jpg

Opera Cake - Is a lovely french dessert that uses two complementary ingredients which are coffee and chocolate. The layers of the cake consist of almond cake that's soaked in coffee syrup. This is then topped with coffee buttercream and a chocolate ganache or glaze to finish.

Last edited:
Yeah, they would need to for the amount of produce they sell, they couldn't be whipping up a batch every ten minutes.

I like to bake from scratch, so I don't buy anything ready-made, or any cake mixes that you add water to, I know people who do, some even purchase the cakes ready-made and then decorate them, but I like to start from scratch and then see the end product.

A lot of the custom cake business in America is baked from home kitchens, its illegal to bake from scratch for retail cakes, so they usually go with boxed mix. Not as good, tastes like chemicals to my rudimentry taste buds.
If the client wants sponge they have a bakery bake it for them to stay legal.
Theres a ton of money in it.

I know one place that delivers 90 wedding cakes every saturday in season.
They don't sell much below $1000 a cake.
Decent cakes too. Konditor meister, the genius behind the scenes is his wife, she could sell icecubes to eskimos.
I had a baker who had worked there and knew them well. Its all in the sell.
I never had the patience to sit down and conduct tastings.

I freeze my sourdough bread as it's fresh, and no preservatives. On the counter it's crunchy in a few days, from the fridge, it's as if still fresh. I guess it helps it has a crusty crust to start with?

A Guy

I freeze my sourdough bread as it's fresh, and no preservatives. On the counter it's crunchy in a few days, from the fridge, it's as if still fresh. I guess it helps it has a crusty crust to start with?

A Guy

Sourdough tends to be a heavy bread, lighter bread will stale, its not due to drying out, staling is associated with starches being affected....not dehydration per se.

A lot of the custom cake business in America is baked from home kitchens, its illegal to bake from scratch for retail cakes, so they usually go with boxed mix. Not as good, tastes like chemicals to my rudimentry taste buds.
If the client wants sponge they have a bakery bake it for them to stay legal.
Theres a ton of money in it.

I know one place that delivers 90 wedding cakes every saturday in season.
They don't sell much below $1000 a cake.
Decent cakes too. Konditor meister, the genius behind the scenes is his wife, she could sell icecubes to eskimos.
I had a baker who had worked there and knew them well. Its all in the sell.
I never had the patience to sit down and conduct tastings.

Wow, I didn't know that it was illegal for retail to bake them! I used to love store-bought cake but after making my own from scratch I can really tell the difference.

Ninety cakes every Saturday, blimey they must have a lot of staff. $1000 per cake, well if you're making that kind of money then hats off to you.

Wow, I didn't know that it was illegal for retail to bake them! I used to love store-bought cake but after making my own from scratch I can really tell the difference.

Ninety cakes every Saturday, blimey they must have a lot of staff. $1000 per cake, well if you're making that kind of money then hats off to you.

The problem is the cake has to be made in a licensed kitchen, designing a kitchen up to code is very expensive.
I'd say at least $60K.
Many mortgages prohibit commercial activity in a house.
Its a can or worms, but using boxed mix solves most of it.
We sold cakes to restaurants from my partners apt for 2 yrs before renting a retail space.
The whole operation was covert.

Wow, no wonder they outsource it then.

Yeah, we have what's called covenants on some of the properties over here. Some houses can run businesses from their homes, and some of them can't. It depends on which estate you live on.

Lol! Box mix really is the answer!

Well at least with laws like that it allows people like yourself to offer a service which makes everyone happy.

Wow, no wonder they outsource it then.

Yeah, we have what's called covenants on some of the properties over here. Some houses can run businesses from their homes, and some of them can't. It depends on which estate you live on.

Lol! Box mix really is the answer!

Well at least with laws like that it allows people like yourself to offer a service which makes everyone happy.

Here in Maine you can do almost anything you want, build your own house without inspectors, no problem.
There is no building dept, no plumbing or electrical inspectors.
I can walk into a store and buy a gun, no permit needed.
Can you imagine that in England, it would be like the OK corral.

People have to be self sufficient up here, they bake pies to order for people to pick up, they might offer chair re-wicking and put a small sign at the curb, or buy a few chickens and start selling eggs. Window screen replacement is another niche.

I'm thinking of baking something I can sell to the Amish, they have a farm stand that also sell pastry and cookies.
Something with shelf life I don't have to bake every day, probably cookies.
Or baking classes when the house is properly set up.

I'm not sure whether having no regulatory bodies is a good or bad thing, albeit the jobs get done a hell of a lot quicker without all the red tape.

I always find it amazing how quick you guys can buy a property, I see it on programmes whereby they've said yes to a house and are in 3 weeks later. That never happens here. 🙄

With you all being self-sufficient, I suppose it creates a mass community whereby you all look after each other and provide services for one another. You don't always get that, but there is something to be said about a close-knit community as many hands make light work.

With your baking repertoire, I'm sure the locals/Amish will love to stock up on some homemade treats. I'm sure the farmer will promote you. 😊

I know you mentioned cookies, but would you consider making a few pies now and again? Maybe sweet or savoury depending on the season? Once you start providing to the community, and they know who you are and what you do, you could then promote the baking classes.

It seems to me you're a man with a plan! I like that.

You've already started really by testing everything out on the farmer, so do you want to start small and then see how things go?

I'm not sure whether having no regulatory bodies is a good or bad thing, albeit the jobs get done a hell of a lot quicker without all the red tape.

I always find it amazing how quick you guys can buy a property, I see it on programmes whereby they've said yes to a house and are in 3 weeks later. That never happens here. 🙄

With you all being self-sufficient, I suppose it creates a mass community whereby you all look after each other and provide services for one another. You don't always get that, but there is something to be said about a close-knit community as many hands make light work.

With your baking repertoire, I'm sure the locals/Amish will love to stock up on some homemade treats. I'm sure the farmer will promote you. 😊

I know you mentioned cookies, but would you consider making a few pies now and again? Maybe sweet or savoury depending on the season? Once you start providing to the community, and they know who you are and what you do, you could then promote the baking classes.

It seems to me you're a man with a plan! I like that.

You've already started really by testing everything out on the farmer, so do you want to start small and then see how things go?

I was thinking of products that ship well, can be boxed and mailed, cookies , scones, bars, brownies etc.
I don't want to start another full time venture, just enough to stay out of boredom.
The amish are very self sufficient, they will only buy what they know they can sell, they wouldn't buy for consumption.

Ah right ok, so they sell it not eat it.

That's fair enough, you have all the equipment so why not give it a whirl. Have you not lived very long where you are now, or is it just something that you've decided to do going forward?

Ah right ok, so they sell it not eat it.

That's fair enough, you have all the equipment so why not give it a whirl. Have you not lived very long where you are now, or is it just something that you've decided to do going forward?

Yeh the Amish are very unmaterialistic, they don't like being photographed because they feel it increases vanity, I think they saw facebook coming. The more time people spend on social media the more depression they experience.

We lived 500 miles south previously, in Boston, moved up here because its very cheap.
We're on our 3rd year here, the past yr was lost to illness. I like to stay busy, it doesn't matter if I make money or not.

I gather they like a simple way of life and in this day and age that may not be a bad thing.

Wow, that's a bit of a way to go (500 miles) but if it's cheaper to live then why not. It's great that you're getting back on your feet again and putting yourself out there. Will you be doing the bakes for the Amish soon or are you not quite there yet? Will you do seasonal treats or just look at the boxed cookies, bars etc.

The thing is you have experience of what that sells and what keeps so this should be a really productive venture for you.

I get the whole money thing, yeah it's nice to make some, but I find with baking it's more about the creativity and the passion that goes into creating something beautiful for somebody else who'll appreciate and enjoy the final product.

For you it's more about the act and keeping busy, I always finding baking very therapeutic, not all the time though I've had my fair share of disasters in the kitchen. However, when everything starts coming together, it's fab. 😍 Sometimes I wish you could box the smell of baking in a kitchen. 🤗

I gather they like a simple way of life and in this day and age that may not be a bad thing.

Wow, that's a bit of a way to go (500 miles) but if it's cheaper to live then why not. It's great that you're getting back on your feet again and putting yourself out there. Will you be doing the bakes for the Amish soon or are you not quite there yet? Will you do seasonal treats or just look at the boxed cookies, bars etc.

The thing is you have experience of what that sells and what keeps so this should be a really productive venture for you.

I get the whole money thing, yeah it's nice to make some, but I find with baking it's more about the creativity and the passion that goes into creating something beautiful for somebody else who'll appreciate and enjoy the final product.

For you it's more about the act and keeping busy, I always finding baking very therapeutic, not all the time though I've had my fair share of disasters in the kitchen. However, when everything starts coming together, it's fab. 😍 Sometimes I wish you could box the smell of baking in a kitchen. 🤗

Baking never gets boring, I always tried to tweak and perfect things I did daily year after year.
I'm still casting about for direction. I'm very leery of opening up shop again, there are several vacant locations here in town.
There isn't even a pub, that tells me something about the lack of discretionary money.

I think baking is ingrained in you. 😊

You're still putting yourself out there, trying new things and perfecting your craft. The more you do, the more you'll work out what you want to do. By starting small, you'll be able to maintain balance with your health and work-life and then work out what's needed in the neighbourhood. I think things will just evolve as they should.

Do you know much about the community you're living in now? Do you speak with the locals in the area? I know we mentioned social media so there may also be some fb pages that tell you about local markets, things going on etc which may help you get more established.

I think baking is ingrained in you. 😊

You're still putting yourself out there, trying new things and perfecting your craft. The more you do, the more you'll work out what you want to do. By starting small, you'll be able to maintain balance with your health and work-life and then work out what's needed in the neighbourhood. I think things will just evolve as they should.

Do you know much about the community you're living in now? Do you speak with the locals in the area? I know we mentioned social media so there may also be some fb pages that tell you about local markets, things going on etc which may help you get more established.

Its a very small town, depressed since the mill closed 20 years ago.
I only know my 2 neighbors and the cashier at the general store.
The farmer tells me all I know about Island Falls, he's a lifelong resident. Everyone knows him too.
I might try lessons from the house, bring your own ingredients, no charge, I don't need to make money.
But as of yet the house isn't close to being set up, it still looks like we just moved it, boxes everywhere.
I can;t do it and my wife is working in Texas on contract for her bank, once she leaves that job its highly unlikely she will find work again. But she is coming up north for a month early spring so we'll be able to go through everything, get it all organized.

I've been watching youtube videos, theres a tendency to make things overly dramatic, I try to take the mystery and drama out and show just how simple some things are. I've been trying to make a danish video, the first video got deleted by my mishandling my phone camera, the second one has a whole section upside down, the camera fell and I put it back upside down, just no luck. Gonna have to make another batch but I'm all out of flour for now.
One day I'll buy a tripod too.

Word of mouth from the farmer will go a long way, especially because he gets to sample your lovely bakes too. He's your greatest advertisement. 😊

I'm sure the locals would value the lessons you provide, but obviously, you need to get set up properly first. If you work out a plan now of what you're going to do before your wife returns, then it saves time when she's back, and you can crack on with the house setup.

When I used to teach at the local college, we did a lesson plan and booklet that we'd give to the students, so they knew what they were doing every week and what to bring. Have you run courses before?

When I ran my cupcake workshops, I would provide everything including the aprons, so all they had to do was turn up. I love teaching it gives me so much satisfaction seeing people create things they never thought they could. I always show them how to break a cake down and conquer the basics, once they've sorted that anything is possible.

At the minute I can't do anything because we're trying to move, so there isn't any point in starting anything. I'm hoping once we're in the new house and it gets done I can then get back on track and start working on new baking ideas and projects. I may even get back on the vids when the kitchen gets done. I'm like you; no faff just here's how to do it.

Your vids are helpful and sometimes funny, and as long as they are helping people perfect their craft, then that's all the matters. It's not about the lighting, or whether they're the right way up (although that helps), it's getting your expertise out into the world.

Whatever your using in replacement for a tripod at the minute is giving you a proper angle, I have a mini bendy tripod that's just sat on my desk. You can buy a tripod from Amazon for around a tenner, so that's pretty good. I'm like you; I cracked my new phone by trying to taking pictures of my bakes, the phone slipped out of my hands and hit the corner of my stone surface. It had crack lines down it for weeks; then I found out that I still had a protective cover and the screen and voila new phone.

Was the danish nice?

Word of mouth from the farmer will go a long way, especially because he gets to sample your lovely bakes too. He's your greatest advertisement. 😊

I'm sure the locals would value the lessons you provide, but obviously, you need to get set up properly first. If you work out a plan now of what you're going to do before your wife returns, then it saves time when she's back, and you can crack on with the house setup.

When I used to teach at the local college, we did a lesson plan and booklet that we'd give to the students, so they knew what they were doing every week and what to bring. Have you run courses before?

When I ran my cupcake workshops, I would provide everything including the aprons, so all they had to do was turn up. I love teaching it gives me so much satisfaction seeing people create things they never thought they could. I always show them how to break a cake down and conquer the basics, once they've sorted that anything is possible.

At the minute I can't do anything because we're trying to move, so there isn't any point in starting anything. I'm hoping once we're in the new house and it gets done I can then get back on track and start working on new baking ideas and projects. I may even get back on the vids when the kitchen gets done. I'm like you; no faff just here's how to do it.

Your vids are helpful and sometimes funny, and as long as they are helping people perfect their craft, then that's all the matters. It's not about the lighting, or whether they're the right way up (although that helps), it's getting your expertise out into the world.

Whatever your using in replacement for a tripod at the minute is giving you a proper angle, I have a mini bendy tripod that's just sat on my desk. You can buy a tripod from Amazon for around a tenner, so that's pretty good. I'm like you; I cracked my new phone by trying to taking pictures of my bakes, the phone slipped out of my hands and hit the corner of my stone surface. It had crack lines down it for weeks; then I found out that I still had a protective cover and the screen and voila new phone.

Was the danish nice?

Yeh the danish came out great considering it was dry yeast.
Half the batch is raw frozen, I like to proof and bake when I want some.

I was watching a yutuber, she made nice enough danish but it took 3 days.
It seems someone reads something in a magazine and it grows legs, everyone repeats it without question, even though it defies common sense. Heres an example, many bread videos show dough mixing in the machine, then the dough is placed in a greased bowl and covered with plastic wrap to proof.
All that does is dirty a second bowl, its not necessary to seal it airtight, just protect from drafts.
I leave it in the machine and throw a tea towel over the whole machine, to knock it back after proofing just turn the machine on.

For danish topping I took some frangipane and thinned it with milk, a dollop on top of the proofed danish and some cherry pie filling works good. My danish takes 4 hrs from ingredients to hot from the oven.
You can see why the camera fell.

When I've made bread, I think I stuck it in the top oven without heat to prove it. I don't think I covered it.

Three days to make a Danish, no I think I'll pass. I do love your bish, bash, bosh approach, and I have to say you must get a workout using that rolling pin! That looks like it weighs a ton but what a tool. It flattened your pastry out in no time at all!

In your vid, you jump at 7:17 from it being rolled out to you 'prepping on the ceiling' ( 😊 that's something I'd do). One minute you're rolling a large piece, then you have lots of shapes already done. I'm not sure if you could add in the bit where you cut the large batch into strips and then move over to rolling it into shapes, but it might help people out. I didn't realise that the shapes are just a roll and twist but they look very good. In the vid, I think I only see you do it once, so for those people who don't get it the first time a few shots of the wrist movement may be useful going forward. I'm not criticising, but from a learner point of view, I like to see a technique a couple of times to make sure I get it. 🙂

At the end, when you glaze them, could you sprinkle them with a little sugar or would that be too much sweetness?

When I've made bread, I think I stuck it in the top oven without heat to prove it. I don't think I covered it.

Three days to make a Danish, no I think I'll pass. I do love your bish, bash, bosh approach, and I have to say you must get a workout using that rolling pin! That looks like it weighs a ton but what a tool. It flattened your pastry out in no time at all!

In your vid, you jump at 7:17 from it being rolled out to you 'prepping on the ceiling' ( 😊 that's something I'd do). One minute you're rolling a large piece, then you have lots of shapes already done. I'm not sure if you could add in the bit where you cut the large batch into strips and then move over to rolling it into shapes, but it might help people out. I didn't realise that the shapes are just a roll and twist but they look very good. In the vid, I think I only see you do it once, so for those people who don't get it the first time a few shots of the wrist movement may be useful going forward. I'm not criticising, but from a learner point of view, I like to see a technique a couple of times to make sure I get it. 🙂

At the end, when you glaze them, could you sprinkle them with a little sugar or would that be too much sweetness?

Covering dough prevents evaporation, if a moist dough evaporates it will cause cooling, thats why we sweat to cool down.
In massive mixers they dust the surface of the dough with flour to prevent evaporation.

I'll have to do a third video for danish, wait I think I might have that missing video, I managed to cut it out and flip it over but then didn't know how to paste it back into the full video. I do it all on my cellphone so...

You could definately sprinkle with sugar before or drizzle with sugar water glaze after baking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back