What's new

Colin the Caterpillar vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar (1 Viewer)

So the gloves are off in the fight over caterpillar rights at the minute. M&S have had Colin the Caterpillar grace their shelves since the '90s and have increased the range over the years to include Connie the Caterpillar, Colin Faces and many more sumptuous products. However, hot on the heels of Colin now appears to be Cuthbert from Aldi.

Colin the Caterpillar (Medium).JPG

Obviously, due to the extreme similarities, M&S were unhappy by the move and issued proceedings against Aldi, who'd already removed the product from the market. M&S concerns were how alike the products were and how Aldi was infringing on their trademark, which they themselves use a lot for charity.

Aldi Cuthbert the Caterpillar.jpg

However, in a swift turn of events, Aldi is now bringing back a special edition Cuthbert Cake and donating all the proceeds to the Teenage Cancer Trust. M&S are all about working closely with charities and have applauded Aldi for donating but would prefer it if they use Kevin and a Carrot Cake instead.

Cecil, Curly, Clyde and Wiggles are staying firmly out of the Caterpillar campaign while there also seems to be the release of some nudes in the process!

Cuthbert Nude.JPG

Whatever the outcome may be, a new docu-series is coming soon...

Related Posts

Last edited:
I think it's ridiculous on the part of M&S all the supermarkets do celebration cakes so why should this one make any difference. You might as well say, oh we'll sell a chocolate cake but nobody else can as that would be infringing on ours, it's a cake what does it matter if it looks similar not everyone has access to an M&S store or can afford their prices. :eyeroll:

I think it's ridiculous on the part of M&S all the supermarkets do celebration cakes so why should this one make any difference. You might as well say, oh we'll sell a chocolate cake but nobody else can as that would be infringing on ours, it's a cake what does it matter if it looks similar not everyone has access to an M&S store or can afford their prices. :eyeroll:
I can see M&S' position here. There's one thing having another caterpillar cake on the market, but one that looks the same as a trademarked best selling range crosses a line. Imitating brands or popular products is something the budget retailers seem to do regularly, with the supermarkets its usually the packaging though. Their own brand products should stand up for themselves without relying on similarities with more popular brands or products, which appears to be the approach. It leaves me with the impression that Aldi need this cake to look like the M&S one in order for it to sell, rather than come up with one that can sell on its own merits.

I see both sides of the argument, the banter, the nation divided, but in all honesty, I'm just glad of some light-hearted headlines for a change. Let the cake wars commence. 🎂

The thing is, you'll always have a nation divided by food. It's like the Weetabix and Baked Beans debacle all over again...😊
#whosforandwhosagainst

I can see M&S' position here. There's one thing having another caterpillar cake on the market, but one that looks the same as a trademarked best selling range crosses a line. Imitating brands or popular products is something the budget retailers seem to do regularly, with the supermarkets its usually the packaging though. Their own brand products should stand up for themselves without relying on similarities with more popular brands or products, which appears to be the approach. It leaves me with the impression that Aldi need this cake to look like the M&S one in order for it to sell, rather than come up with one that can sell on its own merits.
It doesn't look the same though, if it did I could see your point but it's a caterpillar cake like the other supermarkets are selling and they all have their differences, none of them are identical to the one M&S are selling.

So it's all over!

Just a quick update, M&S and Aldi have finally ended their cake wars and managed to reach a truce over Colin and
Cuthbert. 😊

It's been reported that a 'confidential' agreement has been reached between the two companies, and going forward, Cuthbert 'although free' will be having some work done so as not to infringe on his chocolatey counterpart.

Cake anyone? 😄

I saw this yesterday but only the picture and headlines, I didn't bother reading the whole article. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back