What's new

Chocolate Icing (2 Viewers)

Breadlady

hello everyone, I want to make chocolate cupcakes with the type of icing you get on the bought ones, quite a hardish top and softer underneath. Can anyone help how I achieve this please.

Hello @Breadlady

Welcome to the site. 😊

Do you mean like ones that Lyons make? Where you'd get a hard chocolate disc of chocolate on the top?

LYONSCHOCCUPCAKES (Medium).jpg

@Breadlady Hopefully, one of these might be an option for you.
  • My first thought was ganache, as this can be dipped or piped and will set on the top of your cupcakes.
  • You can also use another type of chocolate glaze using melted butter and chocolate.
  • Another option is just melted chocolate and dip your cupcakes into it and let them set.
  • You could also melt a pre-store-bought fudge icing (like Betty Crocker) in the microwave, dip your cupcakes into the melted mixture, and leave it to set.
  • The other option I have is to use chocolate flavoured ready to roll icing and cut circular toppers with it and then stick those to the top of your cupcakes.
  • Or even spread Nutella on the top of them.
Do any of those sound like an option?

For the butter and chocolate recipe, I do not have a recipe off-hand. However, I did find a couple on the internet for you that show pictures and results, so they may be something you want to try.

However, you may also want to try glacé icing, it didn't dawn on me until before, but you can make it into a chocolate glacé icing. To make it into chocolate, just replace 25 grams of the icing sugar with cocoa powder instead.

If you did fancy the Nutella, this is what it sits like on the top of a cake when set...

Hope this helps. 👩‍🍳

Thanks Angie that is really helpful I think I will try the chocolate glacé icing, but the Nutella one looks good too. And just thought I’ve got a little thingy—me -jig that takes out a centre core of a cupcake I could then fill it with Nutella too

Last edited by a moderator:
You're most welcome.

Yeah, there are different types of corers if you want to take the centrepiece out. Just make sure you put the piece of cake back when you've filled it. Like in my link below...(I promise, even though it says cheesecake, the link shows how to core a cupcake). 😁 Remember, less is more, so don't overfill them.

If you don't have a corer, you can also use a piping nozzle to cut out some cake, or if you have a more liquid type filling, you can use a bismark nozzle which is shown further down in the above cheesecake thread link.

Good luck with the cakes. I hope they turn out fabulous for you. 😊

Angie, more help please I’m going to try Renshaws fondant icing, would I use sugar syrup on the cup cakes to help circles of icing stick please.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say sugar syrup, do you mean the stock syrup where sugar has been dissolved in water?

If so, then no, as that gets absorbed into the cake/cupcake to give it extra moisture. When I stick icing fondant to the top of my cupcakes, I use a very light layer of jam, chocolate fudge icing or buttercream. You can use any kind of frosting really to stick the icing to the cupcake. Just don't use lots of it, especially buttercream or thick frostings, as sometimes it can eat through the icing. Less is more.

These are some I've done with jam and chocolate fudge icing to give you an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back