What's new

Can you melt a Flake in the microwave? (1 Viewer)

Over the weekend, I heard on the radio that people were trying their utmost to melt a Cadbury's Flake in the microwave to non-avail. Curious by their plight, I thought I too, would test the theory of whether you can actually do it. I'm all for an experiment or two, and seeing as chocolate melts on the tip of your tongue or the end of your finger, surely a Flake would be no different in the microwave. Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (11) (Medium).jpg

After rummaging around the chocolate cupboard, I came up with a Multipack Flake Bar weighing 20 grams and quickly set about stripping off the wrapper and putting the flake into a bowl.

I was going to keep it full size but decided to break it in half. As you can see, there are two chunky pieces and some crumbly flakey bits.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (12) (Medium).jpg

I then placed the bowl in the microwave, I have a 900 Watt Microwave, and I set the timer to 30 seconds as this is the method I usually use when melting chocolate.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (10) (Medium).jpg

Now I know the first thirty seconds aren't going to melt it, but they will soften it, and maybe the little crumbly bits will start to spread a little around the bowl. This is what it looked like after 30 seconds...no change.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

So again, I did another 30-second stint in the microwave.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

Nope, not even the tiny crumbly bits are melting; okay, I thought another 30 seconds and the tiniest of pieces must start melting around the bowl.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

No, not budging, so I thought, Okay, I'll chop the flake up smaller for the heat to penetrate it further. Surely at 2 minutes in the microwave and smaller chunks, this should finally crack it.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

No still not having it, so again another 30-seconds. The bowl is extremely hot at this point, so even if the microwave seems to be on the blink, then surely the hot bowl it's sat in should be melting it, right?... Err No! So let's go for even smaller pieces.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (5) (Medium).jpg

Still not melting. I've had this in the microwave now for over 4 minutes which for anyone who has ever melted chocolate, this would have burned it by now! I make smaller chunks.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

Still nada!

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

It's not even melting on the knife when I stir it.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

At this point now, I'm admitting defeat, although I can smell a tinge of burnt chocolate, I can't see any.

Can you melt a flake in the microwave by Help Me Bake (9) (Medium).jpg

So there you have it...

Can a Flake being melted in the Microwave?

Well, not in mine anyway! 👩‍🍳

Related Posts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back