What's new

Cake in a mug (1 Viewer)

I've done a baking experiment today! :D I have made a cake in a cup! Effectively a CUP cake but on a much larger scale. :wink: I found the concept quite intriguing, so I thought I would give it a go. :D

Now it did say to mix the ingredients in a cup first, but I actually put all the ingredients in a jug and then transferred the mix to the Cup. It has to be a microwavable mug, although, I just used one from my cupboard and hoped it didn't break! :scream: I also placed the cup on a plate so that when it raised over the sides, the mix wouldn't be welded to the microwave plate.

Here are my results!

Cake in a Cup 1Aa.jpg

Cake in a Cup 2A.jpg

I cut the overflowing cake bits off the top to make it look a bit better!

Cake in a Cup 3A.jpg

To be honest, I did add far too many choc chips to it; however, the cake wasn't rubbery like I expected, it wasn't moist and fluffy, but it was okay for a cake made in less than 5 minutes. Had I any whipped cream or marshmallows I could have decorated it a bit to make it look more appealing.

As a quick cake, I give it 8/10 as a dessert I would give it 5/10.

Last edited:
A few years ago I used to make sponge cakes in the microwave. They would raise beautifully and be moist but very pale and they would go dry sooner than a cake done in the conventional oven. The paleness wouldn't be a problem though if the cake was going to be covered in icing or butter cream.
They were great for a quick cake though, it cut down on the electric as well not having to heat up the oven. :D

I was quite surprised by the results Joan, but if it's going to be smothered in custard or covered then it is a very quick way of making them. I mentioned this tonight to my ladies in class and found that one of them had actually tried this experiment a few years ago. We had a good giggle about it! :)

It wasn't that bad Joan, I wouldn't give it out as a dessert but for a five minute cake its actually not horrendous taste-wise which truthfully I was expecting. You get out what you put in, here is an up-close and personal pic for a giggle! :p

Microwave Cake 6.jpg

It combined together alright but I think it should remain in the cup when served as it looks terrible out of the cup. :scream:

Last edited:
It does look quite dense, but for an experiment and you were actually able to eat it it's not bad. :D

I didn't eat all of it, I had about a teaspoon full and binned it. I ate my lime and coconut cupcakes instead! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back