What's new

Burn the sides and base!! (1 Viewer)

Colin

Hello Cake Bosses!

Whenever I try to bake a cake, I always seem to tinge/burn the sides and base. I've tried to tell the kids it adds character, but they are seeing through my deception........and by the look on their faces, I need to raise my game now.

I line the bottom of the cake tin with grease-proof paper, and then I rub the bottom and sides with melted margarine/butter or whatever is in the fridge, but I always end up with this slightly burnt base/sides. I'm not sure if the oven is too hot, but I just follow the instructions on the packet.

Can you help this noob?

Thanks,
Colin

Hi Colin

By the sounds of it your oven is too hot so it's cooking the base and the outside very quickly whilst the rest is catching up.

Some recipes advise that you alter the cooking temp by about 20 degrees less (to the temp that is stated) if you are going to use a fan assisted oven.

I would turn the temp down slightly as you can always cook it for longer and check that it is cooked properly by inserting a skewer.

Also ensure you bake your cake in the centre of the oven.

It may also depend on the age of your oven as they get tempremental with age.

Thanks Angie. I think you might be right about the temperature, so I'll lower it - the stove is only about 2 years old. I didn't realise I could just cook it longer, so I'll try that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back