What's new

Birthday Cake No 1 (1 Viewer)

Well here is the first birthday cake, for youngest son... Different than planned for various reasons.

it's a 7-inch two layer chocolate cake with milk chocolate buttercream between the layers inside. The side is iced with Swiss meringue buttercream, the top and drip are a 50% dark chocolate ganache. I went for the random look with the drip. The icing will get better with practice. The fully finished version had a bought "Happy Birthday" topper behind the square chocolates. Rainbow cake next.

20210509_114709.jpg

Last edited:
Well here is the first birthday cake, for youngest son... Different than planned for various reasons.

it's a a 7-inch two layer chocolate cake with milk chocolate buttercream between the layers inside. The side is iced with Swiss meringue buttercream, the top and drip are a 50% dark chocolate ganache. I went for the random look with the drip. The icing will get better with practice. The fully finished version had a bought "Happy Birthday" topper behind the square chocolates. Rainbow cake next.

View attachment 6175
Congratulations Mike, it looks good and no doubt will taste good as well. I hope your son appreciates it and I look forward to seeing the rainbow cake when you do that one. 😊👍

Congratulations Mike, it looks good and no doubt will taste good as well. I hope your son appreciates it and I look forward to seeing the rainbow cake when you do that one. 😊👍
Thanks Joan. The wet weather broke today just in time for a family party this afternoon, the cake seemed to go down well.

I did a complete trial one last weekend, this gave me the chance to refine a few things. Tweaks included the thickness of the Swiss meringue buttercream icing, just a crumb coat on top and then the ganache, and the consistency of the ganache. Oh the trial was also three layers, which for some of the "testers" was too much of everything, although I think being iced all over and the thickness of the icing didn't help. For this cake, two 7 inch layers, less icing and only ganache on top worked well.

Really good practice for the rainbow cake, the only thing I really need to test is getting the colours right. I have a tried and tested sponge recipe, the layer buttercream and Swiss meringue icing are variations of what I used here.

it's a 7-inch two layer chocolate cake with milk chocolate buttercream between the layers inside. The side is iced with Swiss meringue buttercream, the top and drip are a 50% dark chocolate ganache. I went for the random look with the drip. The icing will get better with practice. The fully finished version had a bought "Happy Birthday" topper behind the square chocolates. Rainbow cake next.

View attachment 6175

Hi Mike, only just seen this but that's excellent, so well done you. 👩‍🍳

It does look delicious, so I'm assuming everyone enjoyed a slice or two. 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back