What's new

Best Cake to use for two tiered (1 Viewer)

Nic0074

Hi All,
After some advice on best cake to use for a two tier fondant covered cake. Tossing up between white mud or basic vanilla cake. Was hoping to get away with no dowels etc, what cake would give best stabililty? Any input greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hi Nic0074

When tiering cakes, you are always best to use a sturdy cake to take the weight, especially if you are hoping to get away with using dowels.

Personally, I use Madeira cake which is similar to Pound/Vanilla cake just for the versatility factor, and I have used it without dowels. (Although in fairness I would always opt to use dowels depending on how much weight you wish to put on the top tier).

A vanilla cake would be your best option for stacking and fondant, although if you wanted to, you could perhaps use vanilla cake on the bottom and do the top tier in the mud cake. It's all up to you depending on what you feel comfortable with.

Beauty and the Beast Cake by Help Me Bake (2).jpg
I didn't use dowels in this Beauty and the Beast cake, but due to the cake and...
Hi Nic0074

When tiering cakes, you are always best to use a sturdy cake to take the weight, especially if you are hoping to get away with using dowels.

Personally, I use Madeira cake which is similar to Pound/Vanilla cake just for the versatility factor, and I have used it without dowels. (Although in fairness I would always opt to use dowels depending on how much weight you wish to put on the top tier).

A vanilla cake would be your best option for stacking and fondant, although if you wanted to, you could perhaps use vanilla cake on the bottom and do the top tier in the mud cake. It's all up to you depending on what you feel comfortable with.

Beauty and the Beast Cake by Help Me Bake (2).jpg
I didn't use dowels in this Beauty and the Beast cake, but due to the cake and the weight of the toppers, it was pushing heavily on the bottom tier and caused slight butter seepage at the back of the bottom tier.

17 50th Birthday Cake by Help Me Bake.jpg
For this cake, I also used Madeira but used dowels to keep it straight and supported.

The only time I never use dowels is with fruitcake.

There are also other forms of dowels you can use which are large straws in replacement of the dowels if you don't have any or Cake Support Pins.

I hope this helps. ☺️

Last edited:
Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back