What's new

Writing on cakes (1 Viewer)

Writing on Cakes

happy-birthday-written-chocolate-plaque (Large).jpg

Its not as hard as made out.
There are rules of thumb ,which if you follow, will make it much easier.

1. First do it with a marker pen, a lack of good handwriting is irrelevant, my handwriting is terrible with a pen.
Break the words into steps, theres no need to write the whole word in one go.
Practice the most common word first ...HAPPY. Practice the H and only the H.
Do 10 x H's before moving on, make sure you've got it down. Its the anchor that will encourage you to get the rest of the word right.

2. Its unproductive to go for the easy way out and use plastic bags and steel tips, the day you get a lump that clogs the tip you'll know why.
If a paper cone gets clogged you can simply squeeze it clear and move on with barely a delay.
The paper cone also gives the control that is not possible with any other method, its that control that gives the results I show.

3. your index finger should point directly at the tip.
You write with your finger, the cone merely follows where you point.
The other hand is used to steady the cone, don't try it one handed.
Don't try to write fast as I do, just a steady pace until you are confident.

4. use scissors only to cut the tip, a knife will not do it at all.
Drop a continuous string onto the table or your fingertip and observe how it stacks, it has to coil up on itself as shown in the video.
If not, recut the tip, if it still wanders about ?, forget it and make another cone.
I try to make 2 or 3 cones, if one gives me trouble I just rip the tip off and squirt the choc into the next cone.
Practice making cones, my first day I made a dozen of them. I use baking parchment paper.

I was using a poor quality choc (cocoaBarry chunks).
Choc chips might work ok, I would try it.
If you use high quality such as callebaut you will find it flows too easily and letters tend to melt into each other.
The way to fix that is simply stir in 2 or 3 drops of heavy cream to bind it up slightly. Be careful, just drops of cream.
Cool ganache works good too.
Buttercream, depending how you make it can be a pain, it will not drop a string as required for the typical letter H.
I avoid writing with buttercream if given a choice. Little air bubbles in buttercream will give you fits.
Heres a quick vid of the above directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
How fantastic that your work was published in a magazine! Well done that's fab!

I take about 93 pics of the same thing from different angles to get the correct shots of my cakes and models etc. It's either the lighting isn't right, or the angle is wrong, or I'm too far away. Hats off to photographers I didn't realise how much faff was involved until I started taking pictures for myself.

Did you make the croquembouche aswell?
we were in all the major mags and newspapers for 20 years.
Bon Apetite, Chocolatier mag, Boston Mag, boston Globe, Boston Herald etc.

Did you make the croquembouche as well?

They're not too difficult to make but they can't be refrigerated so its a race with the clock, it will keep for about 4 hrs, then the caramel starts to dissolve and it will collapse. The major problem for anyone doing them is the moisture from the pastry cream softening the puff and it all falls apart prematurely due to the caramel melting.
I found the answer is to simply bake the puffs, let them cool down and bake them again so they're dry and crispy.
I fill the puffs, dip all of them in caramel, then start building by redipping to glue them to each other, make a circle and start stacking, here a couple of pics showing the assembly.

we were in all the major mags and newspapers for 20 years.
Bon Apetite, Chocolatier mag, Boston Mag, boston Globe, Boston Herald etc.

View attachment 5087

That's fantastic! Love the photos of you guys building it. Well done, you must be so proud of having all your work featured and published like that. 😍 I'd love to do stuff like that. It just shows you that hard work does pay off.

Last edited:
They're not too difficult to make but they can't be refrigerated so its a race with the clock, it will keep for about 4 hrs, then the caramel starts to dissolve and it will collapse. The major problem for anyone doing them is the moisture from the pastry cream softening the puff and it all falls apart prematurely due to the caramel melting.
I found the answer is to simply bake the puffs, let them cool down and bake them again so they're dry and crispy.
I fill the puffs, dip all of them in caramel, then start building by redipping to glue them to each other, make a circle and start stacking, here a couple of pics showing the assembly.
View attachment 5088
View attachment 5089
View attachment 5090

I've made profiteroles before but never made them into a tower. I think when I baked them, I did double bake them; I think I put a slit in them and then popped them back in the oven to crisp up if memory serves me correctly.

That's some tower you made though, I've seen them before but a lot slimmer. Did you have anything internally in the croquembouche to hold them together or just the caramel? If so that is a lot of weight only to be held together by caramel. Crikey, you are brave doing that and even more so with it being for a wedding! You must have had nerves of steel.

Thanks for that. I really like them!

I'm glad you didn't shut off the vid before showing the mouse, and yes I could see the tail and the eyes. That bird would look great in fondant, and I can't believe how easy it is to make. They're simple but effective. With all the chocolate drip cakes at the minute, they would look fab as topping decorations, especially at Christmas time with the penguins.

I see what you mean about the chocolate though, with 'cheaper' you'll get the shape and separation whereas with the good stuff it will just merge together so you wouldn't have been able to do the nest.

If I made the mouse in fondant, I think I would change the nut ears to white buttons, use black pearls for the eyes and roll a little extra fondant for the tail.

Now I have to laugh because I've just made a quick fondant mouse as opposed to your chocolate marzipan mouse and I was going to post it but having seen your elaborate masterpiece and accolades I'm laughing because my mouse is quick easy and should be in the kid zone. Not following your centre spread award-winning creations. 🙈

Anyway, I love the easy stuff so here's one I prepared earlier, or actually two, well one but with two different faces.

Here are my mice...ta-dah! 😂 😆 😂

how to make a mouse (10) - Copy.jpg

how to make a mouse (11) - Copy.jpg

I would have used brown or grey fondant, but I didn't have any, so I went with the pink, I kept with the pink and white theme, but the eyes look a little scary, so I then changed them to black.

how to make a mouse (12) - Copy.jpg

They do stand out better, so when I getter some proper colours, I'll post the variations. I will also have a go at the birds because I bet they would look lovely in blue or pink.

I've also just thought about the drizzled nest you were doing on the vid and wonder if you turned the bottom of a mini cupcake pan over you could drizzle the choc over the base and make little nests for birds that way?

Last edited:
I know on Australian MasterChef one of these is one of the challenges the contestants have to do, it's usually been on each series. They certainly look impressive. 😊

Lol! Are you talking about the croquembouche or the mouse? 😂 At the minute, it's reminding me of a baby one without any fur.

The croquembouche of course. 🤣

I like your mice, they look cute even more so with the black eyes they look much better than the white.

Now I have to laugh because I've just made a quick fondant mouse as opposed to your chocolate marzipan mouse and I was going to post it but having seen your elaborate masterpiece and accolades I'm laughing because my mouse is quick easy and should be in the kid zone. Not following your centre spread award-winning creations. 🙈

Anyway, I love the easy stuff so here's one I prepared earlier, or actually two, well one but with two different faces.

Here are my mice...ta-dah! 😂 😆 😂

View attachment 5092

View attachment 5093

I would have used brown or grey fondant, but I didn't have any, so I went with the pink, I kept with the pink and white theme, but the eyes look a little scary, so I then changed them to black.

View attachment 5094

They do stand out better, so when I getter some proper colours, I'll post the variations. I will also have a go at the birds because I bet they would look lovely in blue or pink.

I've also just thought about the drizzled nest you were doing on the vid and wonder if you turned the bottom of a mini cupcake pan over you could drizzle the choc over the base and make little nests for birds that way?

The only single change I would make to the mouse is drape the tail over its back so its self contained.
And angle the ears back a bit.
And make it with marzipan.
and make the rear end a bit fatter so it doesn't look like a dachshund.
and then dip it in chocolate. :)

I've made profiteroles before but never made them into a tower. I think when I baked them, I did double bake them; I think I put a slit in them and then popped them back in the oven to crisp up if memory serves me correctly.

That's some tower you made though, I've seen them before but a lot slimmer. Did you have anything internally in the croquembouche to hold them together or just the caramel? If so that is a lot of weight only to be held together by caramel. Crikey, you are brave doing that and even more so with it being for a wedding! You must have had nerves of steel.

Its hollow, they sell copper cones in France to build it around, my boss had one .
I prefer to build without, the copper cone limits the size and shape to the cone.
I've seen bakers wrap alum foil around a traffic cone, theres really no need.
Once its assembled theres no way to extract the cone without breaking the caramel.

I learned never to trust hotel or event staff , never let them handle it, they WILL break it.
Never put it on a rolling cart, always hand carry and place on the final display table myself.
And drive carefully.

The only single change I would make to the mouse is drape the tail over its back so its self contained.
And angle the ears back a bit.
And make it with marzipan.
and make the rear end a bit fatter so it doesn't look like a dachshund.
and then dip it in chocolate. :)

It took me all of about 5 mins to make, and I did it from memory. 😂 I will re-do it and make it how I should I just wanted to throw one together. I agree about the body as it was a bit long when the ears go on.

Anyway, I will re-do in both chocolate and marzipan and proper coloured fondant. 😊

Its hollow, they sell copper cones in France to build it around, my boss had one .
I prefer to build without, the copper cone limits the size and shape to the cone.
I've seen bakers wrap alum foil around a traffic cone, theres really no need.
Once its assembled theres no way to extract the cone without breaking the caramel.

I learned never to trust hotel or event staff , never let them handle it, they WILL break it.
Never put it on a rolling cart, always hand carry and place on the final display table myself.
And drive carefully.

I think I've seen the cones you mentioned but seriously a traffic cone! Surely not? 😲

Yeah, that's what I thought, can you imagine going to a function with a beautiful croquembouche only to find a traffic cone halfway down it where you start tearing pieces off, that I'd love to see.

I also agree about delivery too; if you make it, you sort it that way you know when you left it's in one piece and as it should be. Transportation of anything you have made has to be the worst because you know that when you finished, it's perfect but that trip to the venue is like being in an egg and spoon race. Anything can happen.

That happened to me not long ago with a gift cake that I had made for our friend's granddaughter. After an emergency stop, the beast fell off the top of the cake and went headfirst into tier two. I had to go round the next day and fix it for them.

Beauty and the Beast Cake by Help Me Bake.jpg

Like we have bus lanes I think we should have designated cake lanes too, it would make things so much easier.

It took me all of about 5 mins to make, and I did it from memory. 😂 I will re-do it and make it how I should I just wanted to throw one together. I agree about the body as it was a bit long when the ears go on.

Anyway, I will re-do in both chocolate and marzipan and proper coloured fondant. 😊

I think I've seen the cones you mentioned but seriously a traffic cone! Surely not? 😲

Yeah, that's what I thought, can you imagine going to a function with a beautiful croquembouche only to find a traffic cone halfway down it where you start tearing pieces off, that I'd love to see.

I also agree about delivery too; if you make it, you sort it that way you know when you left it's in one piece and as it should be. Transportation of anything you have made has to be the worst because you know that when you finished, it's perfect but that trip to the venue is like being in an egg and spoon race. Anything can happen.

That happened to me not long ago with a gift cake that I had made for our friend's granddaughter. After an emergency stop, the beast fell off the top of the cake and went headfirst into tier two. I had to go round the next day and fix it for them.

View attachment 5096

Like we have bus lanes I think we should have designated cake lanes too, it would make things so much easier.

Something like that I place the figures on the cake at the final destination.
I always carried a repair kit, blowtorch and caramel for applying decoration on site.

I was delivering a wedding cake, 2 tier, put it on the backseat of the car and jammed it so it couldn't slide forward.
My brothers baby girl was also back there, she was grabbing handfulls of cake icing,
it was kinda funny she had it all over her face. I shifted some roses around and covered it up ok.
That taught me to always take a bag of the same icing along.

I thought that if used, the traffic cone would be surrounded by the puff pastry not erected in the middle of it. He did an excellent job, though. 😊

Something like that I place the figures on the cake at the final destination.
I always carried a repair kit, blowtorch and caramel for applying decoration on site.

I was delivering a wedding cake, 2 tier, put it on the backseat of the car and jammed it so it couldn't slide forward.
My brothers baby girl was also back there, she was grabbing handfulls of cake icing,
it was kinda funny she had it all over her face. I shifted some roses around and covered it up ok.
That taught me to always take a bag of the same icing along.

I couldn't because they were having the party on another day and needed the final cake. The problem I had was with the Beast, he was standing on his tiptoes on one foot so I could only stick his toes to the cake and he was top-heavy and wouldn't balance properly. I should have wrapped him up in clingfilm but you live and learn.

Lol! That's funny about your niece, I bet she loved chomping on all that cake.

The previous year I made a Peppa Pig cake and couldn't quite work out what was missing, then I realised it was her tail! Had to sort that out too. 🤣

On a figure like that I'd insert a dowel that can be plugged into the cake, have the dowel come out the foot of the figure .

ok another mouse type, individual pastry.

I thought about the dowel or some kind of stick attached to his foot but it didn't look right. In the end, I built a wedge under his foot to steady him.

So you went down to the basement again. 😂 Oh, my word that tempering machine is industrial size! I also have one of those temperature gauges they're fab! You find yourself testing the temp of allsorts. :)

I would have used strawberry jam in the centre of that biscuit, does the apricot jam compliment the flavours better? You're getting posh now doing the mouse on top of the biscuit and then dipping. would you do the rest of the decorations or just leave it with the ears?

I thought about the dowel or some kind of stick attached to his foot but it didn't look right. In the end, I built a wedge under his foot to steady him.

So you went down to the basement again. 😂 Oh, my word that tempering machine is industrial size! I also have one of those temperature gauges they're fab! You find yourself testing the temp of allsorts. :)

I would have used strawberry jam in the centre of that biscuit, does the apricot jam compliment the flavours better? You're getting posh now doing the mouse on top of the biscuit and then dipping. would you do the rest of the decorations or just leave it with the ears?

If the chocolate was properly tempered I would have done the tail but I didn't feel like waiting for it.
The infra red gun is slick, only $22 amazon. !

Its a hilliard table top machine, they're expensive $2K but built to last, I've had it for nearly 20 yrs. Too big for home use.
The small Revolation 2B machine is a direct copy but smaller and some plastic parts, cheaper but not made for 240v.
I was looking at the kitchenaid heated bowl, $200 and very accurate, can be used with their mixer or on its own, just hand stir.

I find rasp and strawb jam too sweet along with the buttercream.
Without buttercream, jam works good....as in bakewell tart.
I learned to combine apricot with buttercream from a polish baker when we made dobosh.
The acidity of the apricot balances the buttercream, jam is just more sweet on top of sweet , it strikes me as sickly.

If the chocolate was properly tempered I would have done the tail but I didn't feel like waiting for it.
The infra red gun is slick, only $22 amazon. !

Its a hilliard table top machine, they're expensive $2K but built to last, I've had it for nearly 20 yrs. Too big for home use.
The small Revolation 2B machine is a direct copy but smaller and some plastic parts, cheaper but not made for 240v.
I was looking at the kitchenaid heated bowl, $200 and very accurate, can be used with their mixer or on its own, just hand stir.

Does your machine have a stirrer in the centre of it? I got my temperature gun off Amazon too; they're fab!

Considering the amount I would probably do chocolate decorations I'll probably be looking to find a tempering machine much cheaper than that although having just been on Amazon I think the cheapest one listed was about £169. They look huge as well, I did find one with a pan built into it, but they all seem to be aimed at fondue or for kids so I'm not sure if they are any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back