What's new

Writing on cakes (1 Viewer)

Writing on Cakes

happy-birthday-written-chocolate-plaque (Large).jpg

Its not as hard as made out.
There are rules of thumb ,which if you follow, will make it much easier.

1. First do it with a marker pen, a lack of good handwriting is irrelevant, my handwriting is terrible with a pen.
Break the words into steps, theres no need to write the whole word in one go.
Practice the most common word first ...HAPPY. Practice the H and only the H.
Do 10 x H's before moving on, make sure you've got it down. Its the anchor that will encourage you to get the rest of the word right.

2. Its unproductive to go for the easy way out and use plastic bags and steel tips, the day you get a lump that clogs the tip you'll know why.
If a paper cone gets clogged you can simply squeeze it clear and move on with barely a delay.
The paper cone also gives the control that is not possible with any other method, its that control that gives the results I show.

3. your index finger should point directly at the tip.
You write with your finger, the cone merely follows where you point.
The other hand is used to steady the cone, don't try it one handed.
Don't try to write fast as I do, just a steady pace until you are confident.

4. use scissors only to cut the tip, a knife will not do it at all.
Drop a continuous string onto the table or your fingertip and observe how it stacks, it has to coil up on itself as shown in the video.
If not, recut the tip, if it still wanders about ?, forget it and make another cone.
I try to make 2 or 3 cones, if one gives me trouble I just rip the tip off and squirt the choc into the next cone.
Practice making cones, my first day I made a dozen of them. I use baking parchment paper.

I was using a poor quality choc (cocoaBarry chunks).
Choc chips might work ok, I would try it.
If you use high quality such as callebaut you will find it flows too easily and letters tend to melt into each other.
The way to fix that is simply stir in 2 or 3 drops of heavy cream to bind it up slightly. Be careful, just drops of cream.
Cool ganache works good too.
Buttercream, depending how you make it can be a pain, it will not drop a string as required for the typical letter H.
I avoid writing with buttercream if given a choice. Little air bubbles in buttercream will give you fits.
Heres a quick vid of the above directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your machine have a stirrer in the centre of it? I got my temperature gun off Amazon too; they're fab!

Considering the amount I would probably do chocolate decorations I'll probably be looking to find a tempering machine much cheaper than that although having just been on Amazon I think the cheapest one listed was about £169. They look huge as well, I did find one with a pan built into it, but they all seem to be aimed at fondue or for kids so I'm not sure if they are any good.

My bowl rotates slowly, the agitator is fixed.
The cheap melters would be a problem in my experience if they are an open oblong bath, that radiates heat too easy.
I'd want something bowl shaped to contain heat easier, smaller footprint and easier to cover.
The bigger the bath the more chocolate it would need just to function.
The kitchenaid version is the best, lowest priced of the ones I checked out.
Theres a decent german one but its expensive.

I find rasp and strawb jam too sweet along with the buttercream.
Without buttercream, jam works good....as in bakewell tart.
I learned to combine apricot with buttercream from a polish baker when we made Dobosh.
The acidity of the apricot balances the buttercream, jam is just more sweet on top of sweet; it strikes me as sickly.

I don't like regular buttercream I just like strawberry jam and the only time I use apricot jam is when I'm covering my Christmas Cakes. Having said that now you've given me food for thought so the next time I make a cake, I might do a tester one to see how it tastes. I like flavours that complement one another, but most of the time I get to make kids cakes which is why I use strawberry and buttercream. I made my friends 50th not long ago and the buttercream and apricot would have been very sophisticated so the next time I do another adult one I may use that.

17 50th Birthday Cake by Help Me Bake.jpg

Do you have any more flavour combinations that you can recommend?

Last edited:
I don't like regular buttercream I just like strawberry jam and the only time I use apricot jam is when I'm covering my Christmas Cakes. Having said that now you've given me food for thought so the next time I make a cake, I might do a tester one to see how it tastes. I like flavours that compliment one another, but most of the time I get to make kids cakes which is why I use strawberry and buttercream. I made my friends 50th not long ago and the buttercream and apricot would have been very sophisticated so the next time I do another adult one I may use that.

View attachment 5106

Do you have any more flavour combinations that you can recommend?

I have awful taste , I always let my partner do the taste bit.
She had the palate, I had the production skill.
Classical combos are choc and grand marnier, coffee and apricot.
Its probably more important to know what doesn't work, things to be avoided.
Such as a whipped cream cake (black forest for example), a layer of buttercream would clash like a bad note in music.
A good palate was never my strong point so I rely on my training or others to guide me.
I am a common sewer of fine food.

Lol! Well, I don't fair very well in this because I don't do cream/coffee or buttercream haha, so that leaves me back with jam and chocolate. 😂

I haven't tried Grand Marnier so that may be another one for the adult cakes. Would you use the Grand Marnier in the cake as a form of stock syrup or would you use it in the filling?

Lol! Well, I don't fair very well in this because I don't do cream/coffee or buttercream haha, so that leaves me back with jam and chocolate. 😂

I haven't tried Grand Marnier so that may be another one for the adult cakes. Would you use the Grand Marnier in the cake as a form of stock syrup or would you use it in the filling?

GM in the cake straight, its really good in whipped cream, I'd buy triple sec instead of GM. Much cheaper.

Strawberry slices soaked in triple sec with a bit of orange juice and sugar, no need to cook it, just stir.
its the filling for crepes romanoff but great in a cake, drizzle the syrup on the cake lay the strawbs on whip cream inside the layers.

Oh, my word that sounds delicious! 😍

Yeh but its better suited to a light sponge, not stacked up very tall.

We used to make a choc toulouse Lautrec "cake" , more of a choc slab, no layers, 2 inches tall 9 inch diameter.
Covered with grand marnier whipped cream, 500 grams chocolate in every cake.
more like a chocolate pate.

That looks delicious, I'm not a fan of whipped cream, but how do you get it to hold its shape? When I use it; it practically deflates before the camera comes out.

Wow! I could definitely demolish that it looks really yummy, all that cream is right up my street. :yum:

That looks delicious, I'm not a fan of whipped cream, but how do you get it to hold its shape? When I use it; it practically deflates before the camera comes out.
Commercial heavy cream is higher in butterfat than retail whipping cream, it probably contains gum or other stabilizers.
Also, using too much sugar will make it sloppy, I use minimal sugar, 1 oz per US quart.

Powdered sugar causes problems, as does liquid vanilla.
That would be for chantilly, which is actually classed as a sauce.
Whipped cream for pastry is creme fouettee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back