What's new

What did I do wrong?? Oven problems. (1 Viewer)

Wiljenpake

Does anybody have any advice on the attached?
Using a new oven and set temperature to 180 degrees for a fan oven and cooked for 20 minutes. Have never seen such a weird lot of cakes. Any suggestions as to what has happened?
Thanks

F4192423-9EEC-482F-8C13-457970D622CB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi Wiljenpake

Is your oven a double oven or single oven? The reason I ask is that I had a lot of issues with my new baking oven due to it being a single oven/larger capacity oven. It took me a while to get used to the shelving and stopping things from burning/scorching and getting things to bake correctly.

Manual - In your new oven manual, you will find a page that tells you what cakes and pastries you can bake. In there, it will say what temperatures to use and what shelf to put it on and approximate cooking time. This will help you going forward.

Thermometer - Even though you think you might be baking at one temperature I found that one of my ovens was 10-20 degrees out so get an oven thermometer to make...
Hi Wiljenpake

Is your oven a double oven or single oven? The reason I ask is that I had a lot of issues with my new baking oven due to it being a single oven/larger capacity oven. It took me a while to get used to the shelving and stopping things from burning/scorching and getting things to bake correctly.

Manual - In your new oven manual, you will find a page that tells you what cakes and pastries you can bake. In there, it will say what temperatures to use and what shelf to put it on and approximate cooking time. This will help you going forward.

Thermometer - Even though you think you might be baking at one temperature I found that one of my ovens was 10-20 degrees out so get an oven thermometer to make sure it's on the temp you think.

Your cakes look as though they have baked and rose quite quickly so I'm wondering if either the temp (too high) has caused the baking process to speed up or you may have a little too much leavening agent in your batch?

The best test of a new oven is to make a Victoria Sponge cake that will tell you how well your oven is doing.

Hope this helps. 😊

Last edited:
Solution
it could be a recipe mistake but you said new oven.....so ..

180C is on the hot side for convection.
Pic shows it skinned over and formed a cap, then the insides expanded and lifted the tops.
Its just a bit too hot.
160C is ok for convection .

I don't know about consumer equipment but some products don't work well in commercial convection, such as eclair, so we turned the fan off for 10 minutes to let the heat penetrate, then turned the fan on and baked as usual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back