What's new

US Mince Pie Misunderstanding (1 Viewer)

I have recently read about some of our friends in the States who have been using Beef Mince in their bakes instead of the Sweet Stuff.

fresh-minced-meat-ready-cooking (Large).jpg

Now in fairness, you have to admit that unless you've made the bake before if something is listed as Mincemeat, you're going to assume it's of the beefy kind. However, when we talk about Mincemeat, Tart or anything Christmassy we're always going to be talking about the sweet variety.

So you can imagine the dismay of all those who are ready to make a lovely tart with their Mincemeat and end up with a concoction that's reminiscent of Rachel's Trifle in Friends!

Here are a few of the stories and posts in question:

So to help rectify this misunderstanding (and ensure you don't mix up the two again) here is a post showing you the ingredients of Sweet Mincemeat: How to Make Sweet Mincemeat.

Enjoy and Happy Baking! 🤗

Last edited:
I mentioned xmas pudding and mince pie to a french baker many yrs ago.
He told me the genesis of these concoctions.

After xmas feasts in wealthy british manors there was a lot of leftovers.
They chopped all the fruit up. Oranges, apple, grapes etc.
Scraped the roasting pans (beef was typical then) to get all the fat , into barrels.
All the open bottles of wine, brandy etc was poured in, leftover vegs such as carrots.
Basically everything went in with sugar added.
Pack it down and cover with rendered fat or wax to seal it, leave it in the sub basement to steep. til next year.

Early American settlers, mostly Britishers, mixed all sorts of leftovers into bread too.
You can see it in old recipes for carrot cake and zuccini bread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back