What's new

Superhero Cake Help... (1 Viewer)

corytcline

This is a pic if the super hero cake the customer wants. Any ideas on how to best section the fondant out would be great. We start this one as soon as we get off work this evening.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423222653.455050.jpg

Also here is the Jokers hat for the Joker cake will finish this one also this evening.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423222711.736357.jpg
Edit: we also have an airbrush should we just cover in fondant then airbrush the section colors?

Last edited:
I would probably cover the cake in red fondant first which then gives you two sections of the cake already, then I would make some template sections out of baking paper to work out the correct size of the blue and green sections, then cut the fondant out once you have worked out the correct sizes. Then I would either roll out very thin slithers of black fondant to edge it or just pipe it.

Are you placing a dowel in the spiderman head to keep him upright?

As with the Joker, I think it is down to your personal preference, I think airbrushing will look fine as will if you made the joker hat out of fondant.

I'm in the middle of my Frozen cake.

Busy cake day for all of us it seems.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D

The hero cake is getting the best of us... We have no star cutter so having to do everyone by hand been at it for over an hour don't have one good star. Really doubting this one. Bad thing is its due by 11:00 am today its 1:35 am now and oh my no where close at all[emoji20]

Oh no you could always use circles instead of stars by cutting out a circle shape with the end of a straw and pushing it out using a paintbrush. Stars are really hard to do and that's such a shame considering all the effort you have put in, I'm sure you will resolve the issue and will come up with a plan. This cake has been a learning curve for you and will help you out going forward, you just have to adapt and do the best you can. It may be worth investing in a few shape cutters for the future too as they aren't that expensive and will save you time in the future. I do hope you have had some rest and I'm sure the cake will look great once you have finished it.

At times like that I always have five minutes stand back from the cake and work out my next move, you will make the cake look great! :D

Ignore the circle suggestion, I thought of that as an easier filler of space.

Forget all the stars on the Captain America bit, just get your best star and put it on the shield in the middle leave the rest of the section plain blue and it will look fine. The rest of the sections are plain with a badge so that one can be plain too. If asked why tell them the flow of the design is better and you do not replicate other peoples work and you like to incorporate your own design in.

Today...what have you been up to?

We did get a little rest. We did as suggested covering with red first then making sections for the other colors. This I will admit was a bit above our experience level and was very challenging. For the stars we had a five tip flower cutter about the right size so after many failed attempts last night this morning we tried that and it worked out great! Just had to shape the points from rounded flower shape to a star point. Got the cake all done about 15 min before customer arrived for pickup.
We did not have to do the topper which was a good thing as that would have kept us from finishing. We really need to hone on out fondant making skills ours was very greasy making it very hard to work with.
Here are the results, not perfect but customer was very happy and paid more than we were asking!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423347024.227032.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423347036.442225.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423347056.059065.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423347065.975242.jpg

https://vimeo.com/119014455

Thanks for the help Angie.

You're most welcome. :D

Oh I love it, the finished cake is fabulous, well done you guys and thanks for the vid. I see what you mean about the stars they have turned out great, my only suggestion going forward is to make the stars thinner. They do look lovely but less is more and you will find they will look more professional and you will save on fondant. :wink: I do love all the detail on the cake and considering it was a little bit out of your comfort zone you have done a really great job. The Superman S is really cool and the spider looks awesome, you should be very proud of yourselves and all your hard work, plus the customer is extremely happy so win-win!

Thank you for sharing! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back