What's new

Sugar Free Caramel Mousse (1 Viewer)

Mfeltz5103

Ok, so I have the following caramel mousse recipe: 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Next it goes in a bowl & refrigerates for 3 hours. Lastly, add unflavored gelatin (softened for 5 minutes on 3 Tbsp cold water),
1/4 cup creme fresh, & beaten until soft peaks form. My issue is I need to make it sugar free, & after some research, it seems I can use granulated sucralose (Splenda) & butter so it turns the caramel color. My question is how much butter should I use, & how I should adjust the rest of the recipe?

Hi Mfaeltz5103 and Welcome to the site. :)

I'm assuming from your research that it didn't advise how much sugar or butter you should use as a replacement in your original recipe to give you the overall caramel flavour/colour you are looking for. The problem that I have is that it's okay to substitute sugar with Splenda, but you're now looking to add extra fat to the mix which will have a knock on effect. Recipes rely on balance and alchemy and when you start to omit things and add things in you can end up with a big mess plus you're messing with the 'magical' science bit too. As you're now looking to adjust the original recipe is it not worth trying a slightly different recipe that is in fact sugar-free.

I have noticed that between 20-25 grams seem to be a common amount of butter in a sugar-free mousse with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Splenda. It's entirely up to you if you wish to experiment and alter your measurements and have a play around; however, I did come across this recipe and video which may be your best option unless you can find another tried and tested recipe that suits your needs.

Keto Chocolate & Caramel Mousse Cake Recipe

Hope this helps. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back