What's new

Simmel cake (1 Viewer)

Emma

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but am desperately seeking help! I've now baked 3 simmel cakes through out Easter and another just now.I don't know what's wrong but each one has been a disaster. I use the same recipe each year but this time when I've checked to see if its cooked everything's fine I turn the cake out its stuck to the tin and just falls to pieces.I end up with melted marzipan looking at me. Any advice would be welcomed. I use greaseproof to line my tins thanks in advance

Solution
Hi Emma and welcome to the site. :)

Oh, that's a shame that your Simnel cake is turning out to be quite a disaster, especially if you have made it previously. I'm assuming that your previous year's cakes have been good and this year it's not playing nice for you. :(

If it's stuck to the tin that suggests that the heat in your oven has been too high or it has been baking too close to the edges of your oven, and it has unfortunately welded to the sides of your tin, however, if when you are turning it out it is falling to pieces that suggests either you are turning it out too soon, the cake hasn't baked for long enough or there have been insufficient ingredients binding it together. It may look done on the outside, but the inside hasn't...
Hi Emma and welcome to the site. :)

Oh, that's a shame that your Simnel cake is turning out to be quite a disaster, especially if you have made it previously. I'm assuming that your previous year's cakes have been good and this year it's not playing nice for you. :(

If it's stuck to the tin that suggests that the heat in your oven has been too high or it has been baking too close to the edges of your oven, and it has unfortunately welded to the sides of your tin, however, if when you are turning it out it is falling to pieces that suggests either you are turning it out too soon, the cake hasn't baked for long enough or there have been insufficient ingredients binding it together. It may look done on the outside, but the inside hasn't had time to catch up.

Did you skewer the cake before you removed it from your oven?

I would also try using baking paper or a different type of greaseproof paper and also additionally greasing your tin. I use Bake Easy, which is fabulous for getting cakes out of tins without paper, they slide straight out.

My other way of getting cakes out of the tin easier is the wet tea towel method.

When baking Simnel or any other fruit cakes always bake in the centre of the oven, due to the amount of baking time, I always use a water tray to add extra moisture to the bake.

Remember you can always turn the temp down and bake for longer, also remember if you have been used to using a conventional oven and now you are baking in a fan oven, you will need to reduce the temp by about 10-20°C.

The only other options for a cake collapse are insufficient quantities and other things, but I don't want to overload you just yet if the above helps.

If you need further help, please let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks its so frustrating when you use the same recipe and it doesn't turn out.I will try different paper etc when I can face the oven again lol

Welcome to the site Emma, I'm sure following the good advice you'll get here will have you turning out perfect Simnel cakes from now on.

Enjoy your time here with us. :)

Thanks its so frustrating when you use the same recipe and it doesn't turn out.I will try different paper etc when I can face the oven again lol
I'm sure you will be fine, we had a lady not long ago who was having a similar issue using a tried and tested recipe but she was baking a wedding cake. We went through a process of elimination and got to the problem in the end and she made a wonderful cake with extra to spare. :)

Try the amendments and see how you go, also be sure to check all your quantities and make sure everything is in date too.

I do have a tried and tested fruit cake recipe that I make at Christmas and birthdays so that's another recipe you could try also as an alternative.

If you are fed up with Simnel cake at the minute due to the outcome make something else that you know comes out fine and then when you've upped your baking confidence go back and have another bash at the Simnel cake. :wink:

Stick with it and you'll get there in the end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back