What's new

Ross from Friends...it wasn't me! (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't say it really bothered me, as I say in some places you wouldn't hear anything over the machinery.

Yes, I've had a variety of jobs during my working life, never a dull moment. :D

:lmao: You say the nicest things. :p

Probably because of having to leave school at a young age and having no official qualifications so I had to take whatever job I could get to keep body and soul together. :wink: They do say variety is the spice of life. :lmao:

They do indeed and irrespective or whether you have any qualifications or not you went out to work and provided for your family. So fair play to you. I've worked since being 16 so it's ingrained in me. I don't think it matters what you do as long as you do it well and are appreciated for your efforts. :)

I was 15 when I started work, well the sort of work that you earned a wage, one job I had to do when growing up was scrubbing the outside doorstep at home every Saturday, regardless of the time of year. :eyeroll:

Ok, actually now that you say that I was 12/13 when I started work that earned you money. Firstly it was delivering the local free paper and then I started doing a paper round every night after school and then at 6:30 on a Sunday morning!

At 16 I started work in an office.

Ooh, I hear you, I still remember the freezing cold nights when I would get in from papers absolutely soaking wet, I didn't have a bike either because we couldn't afford one so I ended up walking miles. Sunday morning was the hardest because the Sunday papers were so heavy.

I don't remember there being any paper rounds around where I was brought up, in fact, I can't even remember there being a newsagent nearby.

I know I had to help out quite a lot at home no mod cons in our house, just one cold water tap in the scullery, outside loo, wash day with the dolly tub and ponce with the mangle. :scream:

The tub is just that, well like a barrel that is filled with hot water then the ponce is a tool for stomping down on the clothes to move them about in the hot water. It's a long stick with a handle at the top and what looks like a small stool at the end with legs on, ours was made of wood.
I know they have other names and if I can find a picture of one I'll show you, but a ponce is what we called it. :D

:p Back at you Bill, I couldn't make it up if I tried. :D I was adopted when nearly 3 and my parents were old enough to be my grandparents rather than parents, my dad had one arm and was the local rag and bone man with a horse and cart and my mum at one time sold veg from a barrow on a street corner. :)

UAficCk
UAficCk.gif

I'm a baaaaaad boy

A Guy :)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm sure she forgives you, Bill.

You learn something new every day! Ooh yeah dig a picture out, I'd love to see it. Ooh the rag and bone man, crikey, I remember when he used to come down the street with his horse and cart when I was a kid shouting rag and bone very loudly. Wow, not thought about that in years!

May I ask why you were adopted, Joan?

Just getting the thread back on topic, they seem to have caught the David Schwimmer lookalike down in London so I heard on the news the other day. :lmao:

We can carry on with the Joan adventures now, although it may be worth starting your own thread so we can dip in and out of it! You know what you're like, a week barely passes by before something's going on with you. We'll have to come up with a good name for it! :p

Last edited:
Yes after I'd written that name Angie I thought woops! I know the meaning you are on about but it's the name in my head I've always known the stick by, if you want to put these posts into their own bit you can, put them in the private side as some of it I'd not want public.
I'll wait till then before I continue and answer your question.

Also known as a posser. This is similar to what we had.

th

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Joan knows I was joshing. I'd never make fun of her...she's one of my favorite people :)

A Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back