What's new

RediKettle and Tefal Fryer Review by Joan (1 Viewer)

Joan

I doubt it, mind you just ordered a new kitchen gadget. I get emails from HighStreet, the shopping channel site and today got one showing, along with other stuff, a kettle, but this one is supposed to keep the water at temp for up to 4 hours so you don't have to keep reboiling it and it has different settings for different drinks, showed the email to John and he said to get it so we shall see how things go. :D

The kettle came yesterday and so far it seems to be working out OK, I like also that it tells you how many cups are left in it and they are mug sized measures not small cup sizes. I tried it, it had got down to telling there were 2 cups left so I poured it out into the mug I use for my coffee and it was right I could fill the mug up twice.

It's a little heavy, but it is after all a vacuum flask so double the thickness of a normal kettle. The outside is cool to the touch so I suppose you could use both hands to hold it steady.

The only slight negative, but I think it's a security feature and not too much of a problem is that it is only a thin stream of water pouring out of the spout, whereas with most kettles the water comes out in a wider stream and a lot faster. So far I'm liking it and it's nice to be able to go back say a couple of hours later after boiling it and not have to boil it again but still be able to pour out the water hot enough for another drink.

I'll send you a photo of it after I've edited the photos so they don't arrive the wrong way round because they're too big.

I didn't tell you about my new deep fat fryer did I? I love that you can set it to automatically filter drain the oil into a container so keeping it clean to use again so you're not frying in oil with bits in it. :D

Fryer Box.jpg
Fryer.jpg
Kettle Box.jpg

New Kettle.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

The kettle looks nice, it's good that it makes proper mug sizes and not the teacup sizes otherwise you only feel like you are getting half a brew.

Is the water still at a high temperature when your return to it later on? I'm really fussy about brew temperature and like it to be fully boiled, however, John can drink them at about 80°. I can see from the front there are temp gauges so do you leave it set to your optimum temperature so it's at that temp when you go back to it?

That's great with the fryer, there is nothing worse than bits floating in the oil. We don't have one anymore, we moved over to the air fryer years ago and have now returned back to oven chips. They're nowhere near as good as deep fat fried ones though.

You get a chart with the kettle which gives you the temperature to set for different drinks, 80 is the one they say for instant coffee, I'll send a photo of that later so you can see it.
The temp does cool down over time as really it's a thermos flask that acts as a kettle but if you want to have the higher heat again you just press the buttons and it heats up to whichever you have it set too, it's a lot quicker than boiling a kettle again because they cool down quicker. I'm like you and want the higher heat for my drinks but my John will drink it tepid, or cold sometimes. :scream:

I tried one of those air fryers but they just didn't work for us, couldn't do the number of chips I needed at one go and often even though they looked cooked and had the colour some would be still raw. :dizzy:

I only do my own chips, I do the thicker cut ones and don't even peel them, I just scrub them and after cutting them into chips put them in a dish of cold water for the afternoon then about ½ an hour before cooking I drain them and put them between a couple of teatowels to dry. I double fry them, first in a lower temp then at the highest one to finish off.

Yeah, I'd heard about the coffee temp I think it's because you scorch it otherwise. I don't do coffee so it doesn't really affect me although my brew has to be piping hot otherwise I can't drink it.

That'd be good if you could send a picture of it in action.

The air fryer took too long and then didn't crisp up the chips. I absolutely LOVE homemade chips, my Mum makes the best ones. I would get a little fat fryer but it wouldn't hold the number of chips we need to all be able to sit down and eat together which is why I have opted for the oven chips. I don't do grease either so that's my other issue.

I used to peel, slice and place my chips in salt water, I do it for my roasters too. I've never double fried anything though. Are they fluffy in the middle and crispy on the outside when you are done?

Yeah, I'd heard about the coffee temp I think it's because you scorch it otherwise. I don't do coffee so it doesn't really affect me although my brew has to be piping hot otherwise I can't drink it.

That'd be good if you could send a picture of it in action.

The air fryer took too long and then didn't crisp up the chips. I absolutely LOVE homemade chips, my Mum makes the best ones. I would get a little fat fryer but it wouldn't hold the number of chips we need to all be able to sit down and eat together which is why I have opted for the oven chips. I don't do grease either so that's my other issue.

I used to peel, slice and place my chips in salt water, I do it for my roasters too. I've never double fried anything though. Are they fluffy in the middle and crispy on the outside when you are done?
The old fryer I had could hold 3ltrs of oil this new one holds 3½Ltrs. The previous one was a Breville and came apart so you could wash it all, apart from the actual element. It's the same with the new one everything is washable apart from the element and as we like lots of chips each it has plenty of room with some to spare for more. I could get enough in the other one but the new one gives them more room.

The chips are soft inside and crispy outside when double fried plus they aren't greasy. What would make it a lot easier was if we were a household that had a dishwasher, which all the manufacturers seem to think everyone has, as in the instructions it does tell you that it can be taken apart and put into the dishwasher. :( I have to clean it by hand in the kitchen sink which takes longer and is not so convenient. :scream:

Ok will do a post showing both sides of the chart that came with the kettle and a picture of the gadget I use to cut my chips. I use the cutter that makes the thicker chips.

That's good that it gives you a key, I'd love to make some fruit tea but never seem to get it quite right. I'm never sure whether you have to leave the tea bag in or you're supposed to squeeze it and take it out. They used to smell fabulous when my work colleagues made them but they never seem to get to full strength with me.

The last chipper we bought you had to have a serious amount of upper body strength to use it! We've not had a deep fat fryer though now for about 10 years. I couldn't live without my dishwasher, it's surprising how much we use it.

I don't have room in the kitchen for a dishwasher, I'd love one because I know you can get a better wash than by hand, especially if my hubby's doing the washing up, he drives me up the wall, I can put them in soak in the sink with Fairy and very hot water and he leaves it till it's gone cold before he'll get round to actually washing them and putting them to drain. :grrr:

I'd at least be thankful for that, John always forgets his cup in our house. :eyeroll:

Pour some bleach and hot water and he can leave them to soak, then voila perfectly white cups. Ta dah! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back