What's new

Please help with banana muffins- (1 Viewer)

CaliforniaKaren

Hi, I'd like my healthy muffins to have high domes. From what I've read online, you use baking soda to neutralize the acidity, but it doesn't seem necessary for this recipe.

Should I omit the baking soda and only use baking powder? If so, how do I adjust the recipe?

I'm a new baker and would love some tips. Thanks!! Karen

1-1/4 cups oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2 cups ripe bananas
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup macademia nuts

Solution
@retired pastrychef Thanks! I'll try cooling the batter. Good to know I can keep it in the fridge. For how long? A week?

If I don't use 1tsp baking soda, should I use more baking powder? I'm already using 1-1/2 tsp baking powder. The recipe calls for 1 cup flour (I now only use all purpose flour), 2 cups bananas, 1-1/4 cups oats (then I add about am additional 1/2-3/4 cups oats with cinnamon to the top as a crumble), 1 egg, 1/3 cup butter whipped with 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup macadamia nuts. Thanks again and welcome to the forum! Karen

Omit the soda, it doesn't need it.
Heres yours converted to weights minus the soda
76 grams butter
76 grams sugar
1 egg
170 gram flour
450 gram banana
1 1/2 tsp...
Welcome to the site Karen, sorry I can't help as I don't bake, I wanted to welcome you here and tell you to hang on in there as our baker Angie will be able to help with your query as soon as she sees your post.

Enjoy looking around the site while you wait for your answer and again welcome aboard. :)

Hi Karen

I'm not sure if you've used this recipe before but here goes with a few tips for you.

Leavening agents are what give you a rise/dome effect that you are looking for. Also having the temperature on too high will cause your muffins to rise rapidly in the oven giving you a peaked cake.

Baking powder and soda are used in conjunction together to balance the recipe out (baking powder is the acid while the baking soda is the alkaline).

Using too much baking powder will alter the taste and baking soda lacks the acidity that will give you the rise you need so you would need to add in an additional acid such as lemon juice/buttermilk to it if you are using it on its own.

Used together they also add flavour and colour to your cake so you may wish to try the recipe as is before you swap anything out.

Hope this helps. 😊

Last edited:
Hi Karen

I'm not sure if you've used this recipe before but here goes with a few tips for you.

Leavening agents are what give you a rise/dome effect that you are looking for. Also having the temperature on too high will cause your muffins to rise rapidly in the oven giving you a peaked cake.

Baking powder and soda are used in conjunction together to balance the recipe out (baking powder is the acid while the baking soda is the alkaline).

Using too much baking powder will alter the taste and baking soda lacks the acidity that will give you the rise you need so you would need to add in an additional acid such as lemon juice/buttermilk to it if you are using it on its own.

Used together they also add flavour and colour to your cake so you may wish to try the recipe as is before you swap anything out.

Hope this helps. 😊

Thanks Angie!
Yes, I've tried this recipe several times and it's delicious. I just would like higher domed muffins.

I start the oven at 425 for 7 minutes and then turn it down to 375 for 11-12 more minutes. The high heat apparently helps make the muffins rise. I don't open the over, so it stays hot.

I did omit the salt since I use macademia nuts. I'll try adding the salt because someone told me that's part of the chemical reaction.

That's helpful info about the baking powder and baking soda, thanks!

I have another banana muffin recipe without the oats and using 2 cups all-purpose flour (not wheat). It uses 2 eggs, 1 t baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda. No salt. 1 stick butter, 3/4 cups sugar, and 2 cups banana. These other muffins have high domes, but they're not as healthy. I was hoping to replicate the puffy muffin tops. I was wondering what happens when you add 2 eggs... and if I should try it in the above recipe. Would that help?

Thanks! I appreciate your baking expertise. 😊
Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the fact that you are trying to make a hybrid muffin which will hopefully give you both the height and healthiness you are looking for. 🤗

Using the higher oven temp at the beginning of the bake speeds up the scientific reaction for the production of carbon dioxide (bubbles) which inflate the cake. You're right to keep the oven door shut and reduce the heat because if you open the door, a spell of cold air can knock out the air and cause it to deflate.

Salt is used to balance out the sweetness of your recipe and helps with browning, with bread making it absorbs moisture and helps slow down fermentation. - Also, see Why do we use salt in baking?

You're welcome on the baking soda/powder by the way. 😊

To make your banana muffins a little healthier you could add some sour cream to the recipe in replacement for some of the banana. It may make them a little lighter and give you a more significant rise.

If your cake batter is thick rather than runny then you may wish to try this:

Fill your cupcake cases to as near to the top as you can and then place them in the oven at the high heat first then reduce down. By doing so, the cupcake starts to create volume instantly rather than travelling up the cupcake case first and then trying to create a dome.

Usually I would say to fill cupcake cases two thirds full, but in this case, they might give you more height by filling them with more batter. That's only if it's a thick mix though, if it's not it will erupt like a volcano and just spillover.

With regards to the job of the eggs, eggs are made up of the whites (water/moisture/proteins) and the yolk being fats. The fats add a richness to the bakes while the whites strengthen the bake. Baking is a science, so once you start swapping and changing the way the structure is made up who knows what will happen. Recipes are created with balance and assist with the scientific reaction so if you wish to add an egg yolk here or a full egg to your original recipe then by all means do. I can't tell you exactly what will happen only what the elements on their own do.

The wholewheat flour in the original recipe is also heavier/denser so will not rise as much as your regular all-purpose flour will do.

Before altering the recipe (seeing as you like it so much) why don't you try some of the above options and see if any of those assist in your quest for the dome and then if you're still not happy then experiment. 👩‍🍳

I love the fact that you are trying to make a hybrid muffin which will hopefully give you both the height and healthiness you are looking for. 🤗

Using the higher oven temp at the beginning of the bake speeds up the scientific reaction for the production of carbon dioxide (bubbles) which inflate the cake. You're right to keep the oven door shut and reduce the heat because if you open the door, a spell of cold air can knock out the air and cause it to deflate.

Salt is used to balance out the sweetness of your recipe and helps with browning, with bread making it absorbs moisture and helps slow down fermentation. - Also, see Why do we use salt in baking?

You're welcome on the baking soda/powder by the way. 😊

To make your banana muffins a little healthier you could add some sour cream to the recipe in replacement for some of the banana. It may make them a little lighter and give you a more significant rise.

If your cake batter is thick rather than runny then you may wish to try this:

Fill your cupcake cases to as near to the top as you can and then place them in the oven at the high heat first then reduce down. By doing so, the cupcake starts to create volume instantly rather than travelling up the cupcake case first and then trying to create a dome.

Usually I would say to fill cupcake cases two thirds full, but in this case, they might give you more height by filling them with more batter. That's only if it's a thick mix though, if it's not it will erupt like a volcano and just spillover.

With regards to the job of the eggs, eggs are made up of the whites (water/moisture/proteins) and the yolk being fats. The fats add a richness to the bakes while the whites strengthen the bake. Baking is a science, so once you start swapping and changing the way the structure is made up who knows what will happen. Recipes are created with balance and assist with the scientific reaction so if you wish to add an egg yolk here or a full egg to your original recipe then by all means do. I can't tell you exactly what will happen only what the elements on their own do.

The wholewheat flour in the original recipe is also heavier/denser so will not rise as much as your regular all-purpose flour will do.

Before altering the recipe (seeing as you like it so much) why don't you try some of the above options and see if any of those assist in your quest for the dome and then if you're still not happy then experiment. 👩‍🍳
Thanks Angie! You're incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. I found the recipe online and altered it right by using half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose. I've never made it only with all-purpose flour since my goal was to have healthier muffins.

Recently, I added the cinnamon, which made it even tastier. I also have added to the top a crumble mix or oats and cinnamon.

BTW- I have been filling up the cupcake cases to nearly full since the batter is very thick. (Interesting to learn that you can't do this with more liquidy batter!)

Thanks again!
Karen

You're most welcome Karen; 😊 I'm glad you're tweaking the recipe to get it just how you want it, it does sound delicious and given that you're trying to make it into a healthier option makes it even better. All the taste but fewer calories.

Keep up the good work and if you need anything else you know where to find me.

Hi, I'd like my healthy muffins to have high domes. From what I've read online, you use baking soda to neutralize the acidity, but it doesn't seem necessary for this recipe.

Should I omit the baking soda and only use baking powder? If so, how do I adjust the recipe?

I'm a new baker and would love some tips. Thanks!! Karen

1-1/4 cups oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2 cups ripe bananas
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup macademia nuts

To get large head muffins its typical in bakeries to chill the batter, they make big batches of batter for the week so they're always working from the cooler. Scooping room temp batter makes it very difficult to get that larger head.
We never put baking soda in muffins, the soda causes batter to spread.
I suspect you have a banana bread recipe. That would use soda to prevent doming.

To get large head muffins its typical in bakeries to chill the batter, they make big batches of batter for the week so they're always working from the cooler. Scooping room temp batter makes it very difficult to get that larger head.
We never put baking soda in muffins, the soda causes batter to spread.
I suspect you have a banana bread recipe. That would use soda to prevent doming.
@retired pastrychef Thanks! I'll try cooling the batter. Good to know I can keep it in the fridge. For how long? A week?

If I don't use 1tsp baking soda, should I use more baking powder? I'm already using 1-1/2 tsp baking powder. The recipe calls for 1 cup flour (I now only use all purpose flour), 2 cups bananas, 1-1/4 cups oats (then I add about am additional 1/2-3/4 cups oats with cinnamon to the top as a crumble), 1 egg, 1/3 cup butter whipped with 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup macadamia nuts. Thanks again and welcome to the forum! Karen

Last edited by a moderator:

Omit the soda, it doesn't need it.
Heres yours converted to weights minus the soda
76 grams butter
76 grams sugar
1 egg
170 gram flour
450 gram banana
1 1/2 tsp B.Powder
salt

Heres a tried and true recipe I've used in small and very big batches. given in oz and grams.
113 gram unsalted butter
170 gram sugar
2 eggs
226 grams flour
450 gram banana.
1 tsp baking powder.
pinch salt, I often don't bother, I had a heart attack so I omit it. or just add a pinch.

A quick glance shows I am using a bigger recipe for the same amount of banana.
So yours will be a heavier batter, maybe too heavy, you didn't say exactly what the problem is.
I'd say too much banana, too heavy.

Try this, using my recipe.
mash the bananas. Cheap older brown bananas work perfect.
Melt the butter with the sugar and pour it into the banana mash, stir,
add the egg stir,
add flour and BPowder and stir it all. bake at 350f or 180C ?

Last edited:
Solution
Just wanted to add a word in general..
an amateur without a lot of experience might try to modify adjust or fix a recipe 12 ways, then end up throwing it out.
a professional throws it out the first time.

Find trusted proven recipes and follow them.
Once you've established the known and true you can play with it.
If I wanted banana I'd eat the banana.
Muffins aren't healthy food, they're indulgent and scrumptious.

I bake a lot at home, I make videos for my sister and leave them on youtube for her.
I don't eat it all, with my heart condition and all.
I give most of it to the farmer next door. He's complaining he gained 15 lbs.
The good news is he's saving my life. I can't help it if he lacks discipline.

So true! 😊 I agree with proven recipes or checking what you've found is similar to another recipe. I have seen recipes in the past with typos, and they can cause a whole host of problems.

I couldn't stop laughing at 'if I wanted banana I'd eat the banana.' 😂

As for us, I taste test some stuff but like you generally offload to family. My husband also has a heart condition, so he tastes tests now and again, as does my daughter.

I'm sure your farmer loves having you as a neighbour and is equally pleased he is saving you from yourself. That's lovely posting baking vids for your sister.

As for your new overhaul of the above recipe, I'm sure @CaliforniaKaren will be thrilled to be trying out her latest batch of muffins very soon. I might even bake them at some point. :)

Last edited:
Thanks @retired pastrychef, I appreciate your advice! My recipe also includes 1-1/4 cups of oats and 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts in addition to the 1 cup of flour, so that makes it less "banana-ny." LOL, I like what you wrote about if you want a banana, eat a banana.

My family loves the taste of these muffins, I just want to try and get the domes higher. I see high domes in bakery shops and have high-dome-envy. :)

I'm curious since I'm a novice baker, what's the difference between melting and whipping the butter. This recipe called for melting the butter, but I thought that whipping butter gives it more height. What's the difference?

If you care to share your videos, I'd love to see them. Your lucky neighbor farmer! He gets to eat your baked goodies.

Thanks for your recipe! I think this is similar to one my friend gave me years ago, which we also like. LOL, I have to do the conversion from grams to cups to see if it's identical. I like the current ones I make because they have the oats. I used to make them with half wheat flour, but I saw how these were drier. Also, I read that wheat flour causes the batter to be denser.

Interesting about the salt. I originally omitted salt since the nuts were salty and it's healthier without salt. However, someone told me that salt is needed for a chemical reaction to make it rise. Not sure if this is true.

Thanks again for your wise tips!

Karen

Thanks @retired pastrychef, I appreciate your advice! My recipe also includes 1-1/4 cups of oats and 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts in addition to the 1 cup of flour, so that makes it less "banana-ny." LOL, I like what you wrote about if you want a banana, eat a banana.

My family loves the taste of these muffins, I just want to try and get the domes higher. I see high domes in bakery shops and have high-dome-envy. :)

I'm curious since I'm a novice baker, what's the difference between melting and whipping the butter. This recipe called for melting the butter, but I thought that whipping butter gives it more height. What's the difference?

If you care to share your videos, I'd love to see them. Your lucky neighbor farmer! He gets to eat your baked goodies.

Thanks for your recipe! I think this is similar to one my friend gave me years ago, which we also like. LOL, I have to do the conversion from grams to cups to see if it's identical. I like the current ones I make because they have the oats. I used to make them with half wheat flour, but I saw how these were drier. Also, I read that wheat flour causes the batter to be denser.

Interesting about the salt. I originally omitted salt since the nuts were salty and it's healthier without salt. However, someone told me that salt is needed for a chemical reaction to make it rise. Not sure if this is true.

Thanks again for your wise tips!

Karen

I don't know, I just know it works , lets think...
when you are working with a recipe that uses 40 lbs of banana you just follow the directions.
I have muffin recipes that call for the batter method but banana bread isn't a muffin.
My job was to bake stuff and I could fill a dumpster with the times I thought I knew better.
But try it both ways and report the results.

I suspect the melted butter is done because mashing 40 lbs of banana is best done in the mixer with a paddle.
But then how do you mix the butter in without lumps?
remove the banana mash to cream the butter?
no way thats a huge extra step with big batches in a huge mixer.
The bowl for a 60 quart mixer weighs 30 lbs empty so the less you take it off the machine to pour the contents out (only to put them back again one step later?) , nah, we find easier quicker ways.

Watch out for those youtube pastry videos, many of the experts are posers.

Heres an example, just for fun, try to find a chocolate mousse recipe anywhere made from the basic recipe.
1 lbChoc
1 quart double or heavy whipped cream
10 eggs separated.
Nothing else is allowed, no coffee, no butter, nothing but the 3 ingredients.
It makes perfect mousse but you will not find it, why?
because they don't have the technique down to do it without seizing the choc,
Getting the yolks into the chocolate without it seizing is the problem.
So butter and coffee are used as emulsifiers but ruin the end result compared to real mousse.

Heres a simple apple tart using compote filling.

make the compote.
3 peeled cored chopped apples in a saucepan with 4 oz butter and a handful of sugar.
Cover the pan to intensify the heat, if you skip this step you will have to mash the apples.
cook at full blast until it starts steaming then moderate the flame , stir occasionally to see if the apples have broken down.
Soon as they turn to mush pour it out to cool, chill when cool.

short dough is very simple and handles easy as putty if cold.
Enough for 3 tarts.
1 lb uns butter
1lb 5 oz flour
salt to taste and a handful of sugar.
Make a dry rub and add 2 eggs.
I make it here, takes 2 minutes in the mixer. Use it for sweet or savory tarts.

With the compote and short dough on hand assembly only takes 5 minutes.

Once its baked, the problem people have is getting perfectly neat slices.
The apples tend to follow the knife down into the filling, any sawing motion drags the slices around, so...
we just need a simple trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back