What's new

Pic included. Need urgent help. wedding cake for Friday!! Whats goin wrong? (1 Viewer)

Kg6819

Please help! I have been making cakes for years and never had an issue. I agreed to make a friends wedding cake for Friday and this keeps happening. Im using same recipe/method as i always have. The 8" cake was fine but the 6" keeps doing this. I have made 4 today. The last one came out oven ok. I let it cool for 10 mins, still fine. Then came back hour later and it had completely sunk in the middle. What is going on? Ive added photo. Hope it works

Last edited:
received_1573268392700074.jpeg

Here is the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi KG6819

Aww bless, I see your problem, there are many reasons why a cake will sink in the middle but I need to ask first if you skewered the cake first before you pulled it from the oven? As looking at the picture the cake looks slightly raw still.

From your pic, the cake has baked on the outside but not the middle so I'm assuming that you didn't open the door whilst first baking the cake (as this would add a mass amount of cold air into the mix and ruin the science process) then I would suggest you need to re-bake a 6 inch on a lower temp of your oven and cook for longer. Deep cakes take longer to bake so it's always best to lower the temp I usually bake my deep tins on 150°C -160°C. My 6 inch round tin can sometimes take me up to an hour to bake.

As your 8-inch is coming out fine then I would rule out your oven temperature being temperamental but other causes of sinkage that can cause issues are also as follows:-

Make sure you use a sturdy recipe for a wedding cake something like a Madeira as they are strong and can take the weight of tiers too and check your recipe also making sure that you've added all the ingredients and or are using the correct amounts. Raising agents can also cause sinkage so ensure you use the correct amount if you are using some.

I do hope when you try the next one it comes out fine, unfortunately even as experienced bakers sometimes it can all go to pot but I'm sure you will be fine.

If you need anything further then please let me know.

Good Luck.

Angie

Last edited:
Hi KG6819

Aww bless, I see your problem, there are many reasons why a cake will sink in the middle but I need to ask first if you skewered the cake first before you pulled it from the oven? As looking at the picture the cake looks slightly raw still.

From your pic the cake has baked on the outside but not the middle so I'm assuming that you didn't open the door whilst first baking the cake (as this would add a mass amount of cold air into the mix and ruin the science process) then I would suggest you need to re bake a 6 inch on a lower temp of your oven and cook for longer. Deep cakes take longer to bake so it's always best to lower the temp I usually bake my deep tins on 150°C -160°C. My 6 inch round tin can sometimes take me up to an hour to bake.

As your 8 inch is coming out fine then I would rule out your oven temperature being temperamental but other causes of sinkage that can cause issues are also as follows:-

Baking 101

Make sure you use a sturdy recipe for a wedding cake something like a Madeira as they are strong and can take the weight of tiers too and check your recipe also making sure that you've added all the ingredients and or are using the correct amounts. Raising agents can also cause sinkage so ensure you use the correct amount if you are using some.

I do hope when you try the next one it comes out fine, unfortunately even as experienced bakers sometimes it can all go to pot but I'm sure you will be fine.

If you need anything further then please let me know.

Good Luck.

Angie x

Thanks for reply. I used skewer for first 2 as always but then worried that may be the cause. I baked it at 150c for 35 mins and have tried slightly higher temp. I made a cake a couple of days ago with same ingredients, method, tin, everything and it was perfect. I just dont understand it. I had used my other scales for first 2 but switched back to my usual ones for next 3 and still no difference. Im ready to give up. Its baffling. When i used skewer there was nothing but air in the middle. As though all the mix is baking up the sides. Maybe if i reduce the temp more it will work. Ugggghhh.

You're most welcome.

Using the skewer to test your cake batter when baking is fine as long as you are testing it when the cake is nearly done.

For deep tins always bake longer and never on a higher temp as you'll effectively bake the outside very quickly and have the middle still gooey. 35 mins for me baked on 150°C seems a little too quick however you know your oven and what results it gives you. Personally, I would bake it for longer at a low temp as that way you will get an even bake.

Leave it about five mins longer in the oven than you normally do and then check it with a skewer to ensure it comes out clean, if it's still gooey or like air then continue to bake then check it in intervals of five mins and see if it has baked. If it is soft and does not spring back in the centre, continue to bake it in the oven.

My only other suggestion is to get an oven thermometer as if you are constantly getting inconsistencies with your baking your oven may not be working properly. Fan assisted ovens bake quicker, but if your oven is conventional then I would increase the temp to about 170°

Also, try wrapping your tin in baking parchment and see if that helps give you a better bake and rise.

Stick with one method of baking, one set of scales, one set of ingredients either ounces or grams and also check if you are using a raising agent that it is in date along with all your other ingredients. Use all ingredients at room temp and ensure your oven is correct temp and preheated before baking. I'm sure you know all this, my only other suggestion is there any other way you could borrow a family members oven to see if you are still getting the same results.

If you have remedied all of the above, then my only conclusion is that your oven is the problem and not you.

Last edited:
I just gave one last attempt. Gave it 40mins at 140. The middle started to dissappear at 30mins i didnt open the oven, just looked through glass. Going to try one in my grans oven tomorrow. Oh i hope oven isnt on way out. I wonder if it could be an issue with the tin. I cant think how but who knows.

Oh no! I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

Whilst I think on always ensure that if you are using raising agents that your cake goes in the oven straight away as the chemical reaction starts to happen as soon as the wet and dry ingredients mix so if you leave it to sit for any amount of time this will also cause you problems when baking.

I can't see it being the tin either but why not try using another one just for process of elimination.

The only other thing I can think to possibly try is when you pre heat your oven, place a baking tray in the middle shelf at the same time, this will then heat up to the same temperature as the oven. When you place your cake in the oven place the tin directly onto the baking tray. This will then apply direct heat to the bottom of the tin when it first bakes and starts to produce all the magic and science and may hopefully and possibly help with your baking process.

I'm sure you will resolve the issue and you will create wonderful cakes in your Grans oven tomorrow.

Let me know how you get on, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

fingers crossed.png

Last edited:
Well I gave it one last try in my own oven using a preheated tray underneath and a different bag of flour(someone suggested moisture in flour could be problem and it was raining heavily when my shopping arrived). There is still a sink in the middle but not as bad so I'm pretty sure its and issue with the heat. The good news is the middle actually cooked though it didnt rise too well but I'm pretty sure there is going to be enough cake after leveling to make a sandwiched layer in cake. Unless is dissappears while cooling that is haha. But I will still try in my Grans oven for closure. Thanks so much for taking the time to help. The tray may not have fixed the entire problem but it definitely saved the cake. And now I have enough reject sponge to make cake pops x

Oh that's excellent news! I am so pleased that you managed to bake some kind of cake after all your hard efforts!

Yes your friend is correct too much moisture or too much of anything can cause havoc with science effect of baking.

Although there is still slight sinkage with your cake you do seem to be getting better results and after trying your Grans oven it may confirm that your oven is the cause. I'm glad the baking tray helped though. :D

I'm sure after all this baking you will have plenty of cake to make a wonderful wedding cake for your friend and do take five mins to enjoy one of your pops, you have most definitely earned it.

You are most welcome for our help, pop back anytime. :wink:

Angie x

Well thats me just tried cake at Grans. Same thing happened. Totally baffled. Only things I've not changed are cake tin and baking paper. I wonder if its possible for a tin to be faulty. Goodness knows. Must foucs on icing what cake I do have. Thank goodnes most of it is fruit cake x

Oh deary me, the only thing now then that I can think of is that there is not enough structure to your cake which is causing it to collapse. Look at an alternative recipe for the 6-inch cake that you are making and compare the ingredients and quantities to your own.

I've never known a tin to cause issues, but there's always a first time if it isn't good quality then maybe. From the picture, you posted the tin looked to be of good quality, so that leads me to believe that the quantities you are using for the cake or the method you are using may be causing the problem.

Needless to say, I think you've exhausted all possibilities and top marks for persevering.

As you say, concentrate on the cake you do have and ice it beautifully.

I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with the end results.

Last edited:
20161217_064641.jpg

End result. I had been using the method off weighing the eggs and matching the flour, caster sugar and butter weight. I have always sworn by this method but i tried an different recipe and got a perfect cake not sure why my trusted method stopped working but problem solved...

Well done you, the cake looks beautiful and problem solved so win win all round. :D

Now it's time to put your feet up and enjoy the party!

Last edited:
I love your finished cake, it's beautiful in it's simplicity and I'm sure your friend thought so as well, well done to you for your perseverance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back