What's new

Pastry question ? (1 Viewer)

macette

Hi I am making a short crust pastry, I would like to ask can I roll out my pastry and put it in the dish then into the fridge to chill before blind baking, rather than chill before I roll out. I find it rolls out quite well before chilling. After chilling it breaks around the edges quite a bit.

Solution
In answer to your question yes, you can pre-make the shape and then chill the pastry. Here are a few more pastry tips for you.

In answer to your question yes, you can pre-make the shape and then chill the pastry. Here are a few more pastry tips for you.

Last edited:
Solution
In answer to your question yes, you can pre make the shape and then chill the pastry. Here are a few more pastry tips for you.

Pastry Tips

Thank you so much Angie, the tips you linked me to are fantastic. I will be keeping those. Lemon meringue pie today....first time homemade filling fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here she is... meringue overload had an extra egg white so used it... lol will see how the filling tastes later.
5c428d35f05b3f5bc14a1e91c95ce5cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're most welcome my dear, the pie looks fabulous. Let us know how it tastes. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Angie the pie turned out well but I wasn't keen on the filling. The recipe was tin of condensed milk 3 egg yokes and half cup lemon juice. I will try another filling recipe next time. Hubby liked it so he will be finishing it. .. lol

Well at least the hubby liked it, I do have an alternative filling for you which is what my friend uses in hers. It's cornflour, water, lemon, butter, sugar, yolks and lemon curd. If that sounds like a good alternative I'll double check her quantities and post the full recipe tomorrow for you.

Last edited:
Well at least the hubby liked it, I do have an alternative filling for you which is what my friend uses in hers. It's cornflour, water, lemon, butter, sugar, yolks and lemon curd. If that sounds like a good alternative I'll double check her quantities and post the full recipe tomorrow for you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That sounds much better Angie [emoji1303] many thanks.

Pity about the filling macette although the meringue looks good, I love meringue, glad hubby liked it at least it wont get wasted.

Good luck with the next attempt. :)

Morning Macette

As promised here is the Lovely Linda's (my wonderful baking buddy) as I like to call her,
Lemon Meringue Pie Filling Recipe and Quantities...:D

Ingredients:
1 Heaped Tablespoon Cornflour
Half a pint of Water
2 Med Lemons - Zest and Juice
50 Grams Caster Sugar
25 Grams of Unsalted Butter
2 Beaten Egg Yolks - Place in a glass bowl.
1 Large Tablespoon or Good Dollop of Lemon Curd

Method:
1. Put the cornflour and water into a pan on a medium heat to thicken.
2. Then add the zest, lemon juice, and caster sugar and manually whisk whilst in the the pan.
3. Now add the butter and whisk in.
4. You can either now remove the ingredients off the heat to cool a little before adding the egg yolks (so they don't scramble) or you can scoop some of the heated mixture out of the pan and then mix into the beaten eggs in the glass bowl and beat in, that way in the event they do scramble you can do this part again without ruining your pan mix.
5. Once you have beaten the hot mix in with eggs transfer into your pan whisk in the hot egg mix.
6. Remove from the heat if you haven't already done so and then mix in the large tablespoon of lemon curd. Leave to one side to cool before starting you meringue topping.

This filling recipe covers a 7 inch meringue pie but it can be double up to make larger quantities.

Here is a Homemade lemon curd recipe too if you're interested?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back