What's new

Olive oil vs extra virgin? (1 Viewer)

Yasemin

Hi guys,

Came across a recipe earlier for a chocolate olive oil torte that called for 2/3 of a cup of regular olive oil however I only have extra virgin available.
I believe extra virgin olive oil tastes slightly stronger, and while I'm sure it will be fine, just wanted to ask if any one thought it would have a really dramatic effect on the taste and that it might be better to steer clear?

Thanks in advance for any help x

Solution
Hi Yasemin

With it being lockdown where we are at the minute I'm currently trying to juggle motherhood, home-schooling, work and life! So apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Anyway, in answer to your question, yes virgin olive oil has a more robust flavour to that of regular olive oil and can have a bitter or peppery taste when baked. It also has a lower burning point (burns at a lower temp) to that of regular olive oil too.

However, having said that, I have seen some 'Chocolate Olive Oil Torte recipes' using extra virgin olive oil, so in all honesty, it's purely down to your taste buds and whether you want to try using it or not. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is usually associated more with dips, drizzling etc. to utilise its...
Hi Yasemin, sorry I don't know the answer but I'm sure as soon as Angie sees your post she will be able to help you and give you the answers you need. xx

Hi Yasemin

With it being lockdown where we are at the minute I'm currently trying to juggle motherhood, home-schooling, work and life! So apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Anyway, in answer to your question, yes virgin olive oil has a more robust flavour to that of regular olive oil and can have a bitter or peppery taste when baked. It also has a lower burning point (burns at a lower temp) to that of regular olive oil too.

However, having said that, I have seen some 'Chocolate Olive Oil Torte recipes' using extra virgin olive oil, so in all honesty, it's purely down to your taste buds and whether you want to try using it or not. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is usually associated more with dips, drizzling etc. to utilise its flavour but you can use it in baking.

I hope this helps. 😊

Last edited:
Solution
Hi Yasemin

However, having said that, I have seen some 'Chocolate Olive Oil Torte recipes' using extra virgin olive oil, so in all honesty, it's purely down to your taste buds and whether you want to try using it or not. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is usually associated more with dips, drizzling etc. to utilise its flavour but you can use it in baking.

I hope this helps. 😊
Thank you so much! And no worries about replying late, it's all good. I'll probably give it a go, and I'll be sure to let you know the results.
Thank you again for the help, hope you are doing well x

You're most welcome. 😊 Yeah, we're staying safe thank you, hope you are too.

If you do get a chance, it would be great to see how you get on with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back