What's new

How to make Christmas Gnomes or Gonks (1 Viewer)

Gnomes by Help Me Bake 1 (Medium) (Medium).jpg
Many cultures have embraced gnomes over the years, and everyone has a different take on them. Some find them mystical, others charming; however, you can't deny they are super cute! So with that in mind and it being the festive season I thought I'd put them together with a Santa Claus twist.

Gnomes-by-Help-Me-Bake-1-480x360.jpg

How to make Gnome Santa Claus

The icing fondant colours used to make the Gnomes Santa & Mrs Claus are Renshaw:
  • Jet Black
  • Poppy Red
  • Yellow
  • White
  • Sugarflair Concentrated Dye - Caramel Ivory - (This was mixed into white icing fondant to make the caramel/ivory colour for the nose).

You can use edible glue or a little water to stick the pieces together; however, I used the heat from my hands to hold the pieces together.​

Tip - You can use a little tylo in the icing/fondant to make the models go hard or place a candy stick or other form of edible support in the centre (such as dried pasta) to hold the weight. I didn't use either and put them against my kitchen side with clingfilm/saran wrap so that they dried upright. Alternatively, you could also use Saracino Red Modelling Paste if you prefer.​

Gnomes-28-480x360.jpg

Now to the fun part of making them!

Body - Roll a large sausage cone shape (where the base is fatter than the top), then use the bulbous/cone tool to push under the bottom to indent the icing making way for the boots.

Gnomes-1-480x360.jpg

Boots - Roll black circles slightly pinching in the back and place under the body.

Gnomes-2-480x640.jpg

Belt - Roll a thin black sausage to go around the waist.

Gnomes-3-480x360.jpg

Buckle - Roll a small yellow ball and then stick it where the belt meets up at the front.

Gnomes-4-480x640.jpg

Beard - Roll thin white sausage and place them on top of one another.

Gnomes-5-480x640.jpg

Build up the strands until it becomes a beard.

Gnomes-6-480x640.jpg

Nose - Roll Caramel Ivory pre-coloured icing fondant into a ball and place on top of the beard.

Gnomes-7-480x640.jpg

Hat - Roll red icing fondant into a cone shape then thin the base using your finger and thumb, then bend the tip.

Gnomes-8-480x640.jpg

Place the hat on top of your gnome body.

Gnomes-9-480x640.jpg

Lightly push the rim of the hat around the top of the nose and the body.

Gnomes-10-480x640.jpg

Pom-pom - Roll white icing fondant into a ball.

Gnomes-11-480x640.jpg

How to make Gnome Mrs Claus

Body - Roll a cone shape with a fat base the same size as Gnome Claus. Push the bulbous cone tool under the bottom to make way for her clogs.

Gnomes-12-480x640.jpg

Clog Shoes - Roll yellow circles and pinch the back, slightly flatten and place under the body.

Gnomes-13-480x640.jpg

Apron - Roll out a thin piece of white icing fondant and cut with the frilly end of a circle cutter.

Gnomes-14-480x640.jpg

Then cut the frilled circle in half.

Gnomes-15-480x640.jpg

Place one half on the base of the model and keep the other half for the hat.

Gnomes-16-480x640.jpg

Hair - Roll out three thin sausages.

Gnomes-17-480x640.jpg

Squeeze the three strands together and then start to plait/braid them.

Gnomes-18-480x640.jpg

They should look something like this.

Gnomes-19-480x640.jpg

When you have finished flatten them slightly with your fingers and trim the edges.

Gnomes-20-480x640.jpg

Then stick the plaits to the base with a little water or edible glue.

Gnomes-21-480x640.jpg

Nose - Roll Caramel Ivory coloured icing into a ball and stick it on top of the plaits.

Gnomes-22-480x640.jpg

Hat - Roll the icing fondant into a cone shape.

Gnomes-23-480x640.jpg

Then thin the base with your finger and thumb.

Gnomes-24-480x640.jpg

When you have thinned the base of the hat place on top of the plaits and nose and mould the rim of the hat around the nose.

Gnomes-25-480x640.jpg

Hat Pattern - Now stick the other half of the apron to the top of the hat.

Gnomes-26-480x640.jpg

Here are the final results.

Gnomes-27-480x640.jpg

As you can see, these guys are adorable and great fun to make. Try them out with the kids or grandkids! They'll love them.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have watched your tutorial on making edible gonks for a Christmas cake but nowhere could I find what you used to make the gonks, I would appreciate you advising. Thank you

Hi Charlie, welcome to the site. 😊

There is a note at the top which says the following, but you may have missed it if you started from the first picture; anyway, here it is...

The icing fondant colours used to make the Gnomes Santa & Mrs Claus are - Jet Black, Poppy Red, Yellow, White & Caramel Ivory. You can use edible glue or a little water to stick the pieces together; however, I used the heat from my hands to hold the pieces together.

Tip - You can use tylo in the models to make them go hard or place a candy stick or other form of edible support in the centre to hold the weight. I didn't use either and put them against my kitchen side with clingfilm/saran wrap so that they dried upright.

My go-to icing of choice is Renshaw, which is an excellent brand that works well for both models and cakes. (I will now put that in, so thanks for that. 😊)

However, you can use regular white icing from the supermarket and dye it using concentrated dyes if you prefer; it's all down to personal preference and how much you'd like to spend on the products you use. For the Caramel/Ivory I used a Sugarflair Concentrated Dye and mixed it into white icing fondant.

caramel ivory (Medium).JPG

I hope this helps, but If you need anything else, then please let me know.

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back