What's new

Help with kids birthday cakes. (1 Viewer)

bennet.jpg

Hi! I came across your page kind of randomly in desperation. I always bake the cakes for my two kids birthdays - and I don't do it any other time, so it's always a learning/relearning process, but I like to do it myself. BUT, my turning 10 next week son really wants a different kind of cake this year... vanilla with raspberry filling between the layers. YIKES! I need a recipe for something like that (especially the filling part) that won't fall apart when I stack the cake. Any suggestions for a vanilla cake (relatively firm) and a delicious raspberry (jam like) filling that won't make it slip and slide all over?

Solution
Hi Bennet, the best cakes that will stack and stay together are either Pound cake or Madeira cake.

Madeira is my go-to recipe for birthday cakes because it's moist and very versatile.

You can make your own jam if you like but to be honest, store-bought jams are just as good and will save you a lot of time. If you do buy the jam, then make sure it's the ones that have no bits to make it as smooth as possible. To prevent slip and sliding of the tiers do not overfill the layers. When filling, I always use buttercream and jam. I usually put jam on one side of the tier and buttercream on another and then sandwich them together.

I'm not sure how big you wish to make the cake so here are the recipes for a Round 5 inch and 7-inch cake using...
Hi Bennet, the best cakes that will stack and stay together are either Pound cake or Madeira cake.

Madeira is my go-to recipe for birthday cakes because it's moist and very versatile.

You can make your own jam if you like but to be honest, store-bought jams are just as good and will save you a lot of time. If you do buy the jam, then make sure it's the ones that have no bits to make it as smooth as possible. To prevent slip and sliding of the tiers do not overfill the layers. When filling, I always use buttercream and jam. I usually put jam on one side of the tier and buttercream on another and then sandwich them together.

I'm not sure how big you wish to make the cake so here are the recipes for a Round 5 inch and 7-inch cake using the all in one method:

Madeira

I also have recipes for an 8 or 9 inch too.

Here are some buttercream recipes: If you go through to the Vanilla Buttercream link you will also find links for the strawberry milkshake and chocolate buttercream too.

I'm not sure if you are looking to cover the cake in icing fondant or how many tiers you wish to make it so here are a few cakes I've made that may help you with stacking or design.

This was a fun cake to do, I bought the soldiers from Amazon and my daughter, and I made the rest of the aliens for the cake. Maybe it's something that you could get your kids involved in.

I've included the 50th birthday cake to show you how to stack and support the cakes so if you scroll down past the flowers you can see where I've put the cakes together.

I don't want to bombard you with information but want to give you a few ideas and recipes etc. that may help with your final design. If you need anything further, then please let me know.

Good Luck!

Kind regards

Angie 😊

Last edited:
Solution
You're most welcome! 😊

Haha! You could always buy a child's toy one, wash it in hot soapy water and then place it in the cake or have a mound of Rice Krispies and marshmallows, cover it in icing and then insert it into that instead.

Here's a Saw Blade Cake I did, the blade goes through the cake and in the links there is a tutorial on how to make the blade.

Last edited:
Having just looked at Sword cakes on the internet, most of them have a plastic sword inserted into them. So you really could pull this off! :cool:

I was going with a more of the sword in the stone theme with my Rice Krispie treats and putting them on top but do whatever works for you. Just make sure the structure of the cake is sturdy enough to hold everything in place. Ooh, I do love it when a plan comes together. 🤗

bennet.jpg

Last year I did a race car theme with a tunnel through the cake that let the track run through it... super fun! That one was easier than I thought it would be. BUT, I didn't consider that 6 yr olds playing race cars through the cake would result in far too much playing with the cake - one kid put his hand right through it not realizing it was cake! OOPS

That sounds fabulous! The cake that is not the playing about with it lol! 😂 It seems to me you've got this. If you can create a tunnel through a cake and manage six-year-olds playing about with it, then this sword one should be a walk in the park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back