What's new

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Help to make Minecraft Cake.JPG

Request by Jhinx:

Request by Jhinx:

Hi ange this is what im planning on making using your madeira recipe (yum) in a square tin then place 3 to give the height!!! Just wondering that as i need so many diff shades of green n brown i am using white icing and mixing own colours. Could i mix colours and cut squares then put in fridge and fix the onto cake day after or do you think i need to do it all in one day! Ps how long will madiera last? Thankyou so much for this.

1) If you are going to stack three madeiras on top of one another then please insert dowels or drinking straws into all the layers or at least the bottom cake and the second cake in order for the cake to take the weight of the cakes above. Although Madeira is a dense cake it may buckle under three layers.

2) With the green you can dye white icing using the sugar flair party green as I said and build up your lighter green, then cut the amount of icing you have in half and add additional dye to one of the halves to make a darker green. (It doesn't take that long to get the required colours you are after). If you do it in stages you can do different shades.

3) Teddy Bear Brown Renshaw Icing.

IMG_1506.JPG

This Brown here is called Teddy Bear Brown Icing and would save you time on the dying part if you bought it, you could also use marzipan as the lighter brown to save time on dying time too.

You can pre cut the squares the day before or a few days before but don't put them in the fridge, wrap them flat in clingfilm and place in a ziplock bag so they don't dry out. As long as they are kept in a cool dry place and wrapped they will be fine.

4) I'd say that the madeira will definitely last a week.

5) You could pre-ice the three cake layers with either marzipan or icing (before stacking) and then stick the squares to them with either water or edible glue.

If you use water dip the paintbrush in a cup and dab on your apron/kitchen roll (to get rid of the excess water) you want the brush damp not wet as your icing may bleed become sticky and may run/slide if it's too wet. If you use edible glue use it lightly.

6) If you are sticking squares directly to your sponge then cover the sponge very lightly with jam (scrape on scrape off) and then stick the iced squares to the jam, this forms as an adhesive and will stick the squares directly to the cake saving on additional icing.

If you want the squares to harden slightly before sticking leave them unwrapped about an hour before and they will harden as icing exposed to air dries the icing out.

Any icing you are not using wrap tightly in clingfilm and then in a ziplock bag otherwise, it will dry out and crack.

Let me know if this makes sense and if you need anything further.

:wink:

Thankyou Ange this is fab, however i have one last question. When i have acquired the colour and then want to roll out the icing, is there an alternative to using icing sugar to prevent sticking whilst rolling as this alters colour?

Glad I made sense!

Icing sugar should be used sparingly and shouldn't really alter the colour of your icing, you can roll out on cornflour but this should only be used on light colours as it leaves like a dusty talc mark on red/black/blue etc.

You could leave the icing to settle once you have got it to the correct shade and then roll out later to prevent the stickiness as you have effectively 'worked' the icing and warmed it up. Wrap in clingfilm and place in a sealed container or alternatively place in a sealed airtight food bag, have a brew and then roll later. Also see

Always use concentrated dyes not liquid as they alter the texture and taste.

Thanks Ange, all these tips are ace! I ordered teddy bear brown and chocolate icing last night so am just going to mix green. Thanks again and i will hopefully post a pic x wish me luck x

Glad to help, it's what I built the site for LOL! :D

I did think about chocolate icing but thought the brown may be a little dark for you. (Roll this out using icing sugar).

Whilst I remember, in the event you do use marzipan as part of the cake then DO NOT roll it out on cornflour as it reacts to the powder. Always use icing sugar when rolling this out.

Also if you are putting the squares directly onto jam then make sure you wipe any excess jam that may be squeezed between the squares immediately. I would advise covering the cakes first and then sticking the squares to the icing/marzipan as you will have a clean edge to work with. (Do what suits you though :))

I would also bake the Madeira's the day before let them cool and then wrap them in baking paper and clingfilm until you are going to assemble the cake. This allows the cake to settle down after baking and reduces the crumb effect.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a fab job and YES I would love you to post a pic of the cake to the site when you have done.

Cakes are hard work but the memories and smiles on faces that occur from them are PRICELESS!

I'm sure you'll do Dan proud. :wink:

Hey ange i cant inbox u as it said u have too many msgs?? I meant wrap it when completed as i was just gonna put squares on actual cake unless u disagree with this, then wrap full cake?

LOL! I have now amended that sorry! :p You do what works for you, I tend to have two layers for an even finish, I marzipan first and then ice over so if I were making the cake I would marzipan each layer and then stick the iced squares to it as this would give you a nice work area with no crumbs or jam geting in the way (basically no mess, no wiping down etc). However, you do what feels right for you, what necessarily works for me doesn't always work for everyone else.

With regards to wrapping it, the cake box only provides cover for the cake and does not stop the icing from 'setting' therefore as long as you keep the cake in a cool dry place it will not crack or break etc. Once the cake has been covered with icing then it will set (harden as it should) and effectively seal the contents (the cake) which is what it's supposed too. The cake inside will remain fresh as the icing is a protective layer.

Basically store it in a cool dry place, out of sunlight, not in the fridge or if you have a clean card board box try putting it in that, I wouldn't wrap in clingfilm just in case when you unwrap you start pulling squares off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back