What's new

Frozen Castle Cake preview (1 Viewer)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
This is a rough idea of what the Frozen cake should look like, obviously, it will all be cake but this is the overall design me and Han have agreed on. :D

It will be two tier cake in blue and white, with snowflakes in the same colour, Lois has asked me for a few purple ones too so I will add them in for her. I may do some two tone ones with white and blue and then add blue to purple to make them look as if they are changing colour. When we first put everything together it looked a little busy but now it seems to flow better.

I'm also thinking of putting Lois' name in the snow on the base as if it has been scrawled in the snow by Olaf, that is the plan oh and adding a castle door. I'm going to sugar crystal the top of the turrets and round the windows and I may even add a few blue flowers.

What do think?

Last edited:
Your opinion helps Joan, I don't like busy cakes and to be honest I would rather have less characters on it but they all matter so I have to leave them on. Lol! :D

Lol! No don't want to frighten the kids....I cannot believe you haven't see it it's a great film.

I will post the pic when I've made it.

I am now glueing sugar crystals with edible glue to the turret parts of the castle and the tower sections around the window. I think I may have to do another coat but these ones are going to have to dry thoroughly first. I have stood them in icing fondant at the bottom to keep them upright.

The castle turrets are part of the Wilton Castle Cake Set.

These are the sugar crystals I used, one tube of these covered all the turrets and did the tower windows, I used another full tube on the cake itself.

1. Cover the turret in edible glue.

2. Then cover it in edible sugar glitter crystals, I did this by sprinkling them on and then adding additional glue with a paintbrush and filled in any gaps. Leave these to dry.

3. Cover the tower windows with edible glue and cover also with sugar crystals.

4. Once the turrets and towers are dry (I left them overnight) roll a sausage of icing fondant with your hands, the warmth of your hands will make it a little sticky.

5. Squash this into the top of the tower like so.

6. Then push the turret on and it will stick together.

I then pushed the base into a ball of icing fondant on the plate to enable them to stand up and dry thoroughly.

To make the white icing blue I used Sugarflair Baby Blue dye and applied it in stages until I reached my desired colour. You simply dip a cocktail stick into the dye and then score it across the icing then knead it in. Keep kneading until all the colour has absorbed into the icing. Then leave it to rest for 24hrs before using. Also see Food Colouring for picture illustration.

Last edited:
Here is the chocolate cake top tier; this was levelled using the cake leveller and then filled and covered in chocolate fudge icing.

Here is the Madeira cake for the base; this was levelled using a cake levelling wire and then filled with buttercream and jam.

Last edited:
It's now finished. Pictures to follow once I have had my hard earned cup of tea.

Just so you know the figures for the cake were actually purchased from the Disney Store, I did have a look at a few others on the internet but they are imitations and have had bad reviews, so I decided to purchase these ones, they're great value and fit perfect on the cake. The Frozen Figurines were all washed in hot soapy water before being placed on the cake as were the turrets for the castle. That is very important!

Last edited:

Ta dah! Here is the finished article, I just hope Lois my God-daughter likes it! :D

I placed the cake in a 14" x 14" x 14" box and it only just fit in.

Last edited:
Thanks Joan, I'm pleased it's finished, I had a few mishaps along the way especially with the top tier as it's chocolate and it smudged on my icing when I put it on the bottom tier. I got round it by covering it in sugar crystals. I've sent Helen a picture and she loves it, I will be missing the party this year as I'm off to see the Lion King but I'm sure Lois will love it.

Thanks, Cory, I did a marzipan layer first and then iced it with fondant that way I get a smoother finish. I have deep tins for the cakes which gives me a good height, to be honest, they were actually deeper than shown but I took quite a lot off when I levelled it. I didn't use dowels or straws for support as the base cake was a Madeira cake which is a strong dense cake which can take the weight of the top tier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back