What's new

French Pastries, Desserts and Ingredients (1 Viewer)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching a few American baking programmes recently and have watched some of the contestants make an array of delightful treats, some of which I've never heard of.

Thankful to expand my knowledge I thought I'd a list a few of treats for you just in case you didn't know what they were either.

french religieuse.JPG

Religieuse - A french pastry made from two choux buns (cream puffs) filled with crème pâtissière (pastry cream), dipped in ganache, given a cream collar and then stacked on top of one another.

french feuilletine flakes.JPG

Feuilletine Flakes - Or pailleté feuilletine as they are sometimes known are thin crispy flakes made from paper-thin sweetened crepes. They have a caramel flavour and used in desserts for a light and crispy texture.

french financier.JPG

Financier - A Financier (or Visitandine, as an earlier version was known), is a small French almond cake which is popular in France due to its petite size. It is flavoured with beurre noisette (a warm sauce used to make french cuisine and pastries) and baked in a small cake loaf.

French Opera Cake.jpg

Opera Cake - Is a lovely french dessert that uses two complementary ingredients which are coffee and chocolate. The layers of the cake consist of almond cake that's soaked in coffee syrup. This is then topped with coffee buttercream and a chocolate ganache or glaze to finish.

Last edited:
Covering dough prevents evaporation, if a moist dough evaporates it will cause cooling, thats why we sweat to cool down.
In massive mixers they dust the surface of the dough with flour to prevent evaporation.

I'll have to do a third video for danish, wait I think I might have that missing video, I managed to cut it out and flip it over but then didn't know how to paste it back into the full video. I do it all on my cellphone so...

You could definately sprinkle with sugar before or drizzle with sugar water glaze after baking.

Found it.

That's much better now as I can see how you make the danish shapes.

Do you flatten them to stop them puffing up too much and unravelling when baking?

It makes them easier to handle, you can toss them around like frisbees.
They still puff up even after freezing.
I baked some that had been frozen, did a proper slow proof so the butter didn't melt like the ones in the video and they came out very nice. But it took over 2 hrs to proof safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back