What's new

Failed Frangipane (1 Viewer)

Yasemin

Love Frangipane tarts, have tried multiple recipies and they always have a strange layer in the middle? Looks like egg. Not sure what it is, or why it keeps happening. I'm ready to give up at this point. Has anyone seen anything like this before or knows what I've done wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Solution
If you haven't had the overall results you're looking for I'd be tempted to reduce the heat down throughout the bake and let it bake slower for longer giving you a more consistent bake and better results.

Good luck with your next one. Keep trying; you'll get there. 😊
Hi Yasemin 😊

From the picture, it looks undercooked/too wet. Are you cooking the frangipane tart in one go or are you baking the base first then adding the filling and then continuing to bake?

For your frangipane cream, does your recipe ask for the butter to be melted/slightly heated or to be mixed at room temp? As you mentioned egg texture I'm wondering if you are heating the butter, it is too warm and may be slightly cooking/scrambling the eggs before you bake?

Either that or the temp of your oven isn't baking it correctly: If you're doing it all in one and not baking the base first try placing your tart onto a preheated baking tray. The heat from the tray will penetrate the bottom of your tart and will hopefully give you a better bake. Also, check the temperature if using a fan/non-fan oven as the temperature can vary by 10-20 degrees.

I hope this helps. 🤗

Last edited:
The only other thing I can suggest is that if you overbeat your almonds, you can make them into a paste which releases the oils and can cause havoc with your bake. So please be careful.

Here is a Bakewell Tart Tutorial for you to have a look at just in case you'd like to try your hand at that instead.

Last edited:
I don't think it's undercooked, I left it in for longer than required, until it would no longer "wobble" as the recipe said.
It was at the correct temperature for the majority of the time, however I lowered it a little towards the end as the filling wasn't quite done, and the top was getting too dark.
I didn't use melted butter, just softened at room temperature, and yes I baked the base first.
Interesting about the almonds though.

Thank you so much for your advice though, I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll try again another time haha :)

You're most welcome. 😊

With you saying you reduced the temp because the filling wasn't baked, but the top was getting quite dark, that would suggest that the oven temp is too high for the filling; therefore it might be worth turning it down a few degrees and then cooking all of it for longer. Just out of interest what temp are you baking the filling on?

Last edited:
If you haven't had the overall results you're looking for I'd be tempted to reduce the heat down throughout the bake and let it bake slower for longer giving you a more consistent bake and better results.

Good luck with your next one. Keep trying; you'll get there. 😊

Solution
Love Frangipane tarts, have tried multiple recipies and they always have a strange layer in the middle? Looks like egg. Not sure what it is, or why it keeps happening. I'm ready to give up at this point. Has anyone seen anything like this before or knows what I've done wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

View attachment 5025
Without a doubt thats a temp issue.
I moved into a new home and discovered the oven is 50F hotter than the setting.
I bought a remote oven thermometer and use that for monitoring the heat.
If the temp is accurate then its the baking dish or mold.
A thick heavy pyrex dish is not your friend, thin stainless tart molds work best.

Hi, Retired Pastry Chef, thanks for the post. 😊

I also invested in new oven thermometers due to having similar problems with my last oven.

Hi, Retired Pastry Chef, thanks for the post. 😊

I also invested in new oven thermometers due to having similar problems with my last oven.

yrs ago we'd take the train to the village of bakewell in derbyshire, the original bakeshop is still there.
we spent the day running around the hills.
It started out as a pudding without flour. It was ok.
Interesting that the original also used puff dough crust.

Ooh, I love Bakewell Tart with shortcrust pastry but must confess I've never had a Bakewell Pudding or been to the bakeshop or village. The one I make doesn't have the iced topping or the cherry on the top but tastes equally as good. I love custard as per the video but prefer to eat my own Bakewell as it is.

All this talk of cake is making me hungry. ☺

I like Bakewell Tart as well but like you Angie have never had the pudding variety. I've not been to Bakewell but I expect John has, I'll have to ask him when his nose isn't buried in accounts, he'd been all over the place in his cycling days for the Derby Mercury team. :)

Without a doubt thats a temp issue.
I moved into a new home and discovered the oven is 50F hotter than the setting.
I bought a remote oven thermometer and use that for monitoring the heat.
If the temp is accurate then its the baking dish or mold.
A thick heavy pyrex dish is not your friend, thin stainless tart molds work best.
Ah thanks so much, also yeah I wondered about the dish, but this was all I had at home. Thanks for the advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back