What's new

Dense and eggy almond cake (1 Viewer)

Georgia06

Hi, First time I have made an Almond cake and even though it looks ok it's gone a bit wrong. Can anyone help me with what I did wrong, as it turned out dense and with a slight eggy flavour after the almond flavour!
Many Thanks in advance.

Hiya Georgia06

Welcome to the site.

Almond cake can be slightly denser than a normal sponge however it should not be overly dense. Beat your eggs one at a time with the sugar, this allows them to be mixed in evenly and should prevent your overly eggy mixture.

I find combining the recipe in stages allows everything to be mixed in and folded in properly. I usually add a little extra whisk at the end of the recipe just for good measure.

The consistency of the mixture for the below recipe should resemble porridge once you have added everything in, ensure your oven is pre heated before baking and at optimum temperature. Always bake in the middle of the oven.

I'm not sure of the recipe you have chosen, however, here is the the Orange and Almond Cake tutorial with instructions on how to make it to see if this assists you further.

Also see our Help with Cake Disasters

Hope this helps. :D

Welcome to the site Georgia06, you've come to the right place for help, enjoy yourself here and you'll soon be baking like a pro. :)

Hi, Thanks for your advice. The receipe I used stated 4 large eggs, 70g plain flour, 125g ground almonds, 175g olivio spread, few drops almond essence , 200g sugar. Looks from yours that it may not have needed the 4th egg as I did as you described about adding in stages. The almond and orange looks yummy but does it not have butter/marg in it? Or am I not seeing it on the list?
Oh and thankyou for welcoming me to the site.

You're most welcome, the recipe I use does not use butter/margarine in it and comes out slightly denser and tightly knitted than a Victoria sponge but is still quite light in texture.

For the recipe you have given I would suggest, creaming the Olivio spread and the sugar together using a whisk, (when you use the creaming method to combine butter and sugar together you add air to the mixture as it gets trapped between the butter and sugar mix, the two should then start to appear to become lighter in colour in your mixing bowl: the more you mix the two together the lighter they will become and the more air you trap). Then add your eggs in one at a time as you did, then sieve in the flour and fold in the almonds, add the essence and then whisk a little to combine the ingredients together. If you are unhappy with the amount of egginess in your last cake then try using medium eggs or one less egg and see if the recipe works better for you.

The Orange and almond recipe I gave you above is a great recipe so you may wish to try it to compare it to yours and see if you find the consistency any better. I do find when all the ingredients are mixed together it looks very gloopy and like a disaster in a bowl before it is baked, however, trust me the cake comes out fine. It has a lovely citrus and almond taste and if you don't want it plain you could always add a little Glace Icing to it to finish it off.

Hi, Thanks again for your advice, next time I bake I will definitely try your recipe, even better with no butter as has less calories so less guilty feelings when eating it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back