What's new

Cheesecake - What To Do? (1 Viewer)

JusteMoi

I'm making a small batch (6-inch) cheesecake. The recipe calls for 12 ounces of cream cheese. I've only got 8 ounces, and cannot get to the store to get more. Should I: look for a recipe that calls for just 8 oz. (and make mini cheesecakes in a muffin tin) or use 4 ounces of greek yogurt to make up for the missing cream cheese? And if I use the greek yogurt, should I strain it to make it even thicker? (I already use greek yogurt in place of sour cream called for in cheesecake because I eat yogurt, but don't use sour cream.) Thanks for the help!

Hi JusteMoi

Don't opt to replace the cream cheese with strained Greek Yoghurt as it has a lower fat content and may affect the texture and your final results. For the best results stick with what the recipe states, I would make miniature versions of the cheesecake and give everyone their own individual cakes. Either that or hold off until you can make it to the store and make the original, although I think the mini versions will be adorable. :yum:

Last edited:
I have to admit I AM leaning more towards the mini version (lemon cheesecake with gingersnap crust) just because they're so darn cute! But, disappointed that using a full fat, whole milk greek yogurt (which has 4 grams fat per 5 oz. serving) wouldn't be "fatty" enough to make up the 4 extra ounces of cream cheese (which has 7 grams per serving of 2 tablespoons). I thought that by straining the greek yogurt further to remove more liquid it would boost its fat content a little. Oh well, live & learn! I'll have to look for a recipe that uses just the 8 oz. of cream cheese then, because if I go with the one that calls for 12 oz., even if I make "minis", the texture could still be off. And next time I go shopping, I'll be sure to get TWO bars of cream cheese! :) Thanks much Angie!

Maybe because of your cream cheese dilemma you could half the original recipe and reduce the cooking time perhaps? The mini lemon ones sound divine, and they seem a little more personal like you made an effort to make someone their own cake.

If you did have enough Cream Cheese as per the recipe, and you were opting to substitute Greek Yoghurt in place of Sour Cream then that would be fine because it's pretty much like for like, however, because you are using it to replace the Cream Cheese it will not hold up the same and will give you a different texture and consistency than expected. I know these things can be annoying but unfortunately, with baking, we have a lovely scientific process unlike cooking when you can throw anything in.

I'm sure that once you manage to bake them all your hard-earned efforts and research with be rewarded! Good Luck and Happy Baking! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back